PDA

View Full Version : RDSS 2.1 --> on HOLD

Ted Craven
04-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Hello Everyone. I set up a new Forum to begin the process of first announcing, then describing the new version 2.1 of RDSS which is in the process of being born!

Within the next week, I should have a bunch of stuff posted here, including screenshots, a list of what's included, what's coming later, maybe a video.

For now, I can say that although I had hoped for the end of March, it looks like RDSS 2.1 will start circulating in a wider Beta version sometime in June. A handful of folks have agreed to be 'subjected' to what I'd call an Alpha version over the past year or so and I do thank them for their bravery! :eek: Thanks also to everyone who has given me suggestions over the past 3 years - AND who have stuck with the software as it is all along. All in all, not too shabby (or unprofitable) a time for many, from what I've been seeing.

OK, I'm going to clean up a few screens so it's not too confusing, then post some screenshots as soon as I can. (FYI, tomorrow I will be gone all day, but back at it on Friday).

It's very exciting for me, and I think everyone will find it a great new addition to the toolset.

Thanks,

Ted

Ted Craven
04-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Here is the Master List of new Features in RDSS 2.1 -

1. Decision Modeler, including result, odds and mutuels, and numerous ways to portray, filter and sort that modeled data; Track Profiler

2. Result Charts Converted to database, displayed in screens (~20 minute after race, shows as Line 0 for each horse), feeds into Modeler

3. Revamped Tote Board: WPS pools, Exacta Pools, Daily Double Pools, Will-pays; Tote Xray 2 and further analysis, highlight interesting/overlaid combos

4. Re-organized Card Summary screen (including My Races version)

5. Re-organized Sidebar: merged with My Races, sorted by Date, Track, other filters. Assemble multiple cards/selected races at once. Use Sidebar to switch between cards and races instead of Card Summary Tab in each Race screen. Race Tabs at bottom eliminated. Minimal version of horse header for greater vertical screen display room

6. Result Charts fetched automatically, following race Official (~20 minutes delay), also mutuel results and prices (if connected to Supertote or TS ADW), also automatically added to Modeler; OR, race added to Modeler in bulk as Mutuels fetched in bulk, if race has been Assembled and pacelines selected

7. Paceline Selection Strategy screen re-organized: Contender separation filters exist separately from PSS, optionally enabled by user. A few new, canned New PSSs

8. Bugs fixed: numerous, TrackMaster website error bugs, Tote module mangling of Analysis screens and premature closure after last race; annoying navigation bugs

9. Built in Help system - annoying popup tips on data screens optionally disabled. Help buttons (mouse clicks) lead to contextual web links to online discussion/videos about particular factor, its formula (if public) and its usage

10. New modern Installer (Nulsoft) - for 32 and 64 bit Windows systems. Software updates retrievable from within RDSS (software checks for updates, prompts to download and install)

11. Projected Pace appears on Adjusted Screen; horse owning the Projected Pace at each Call is identified (i.e. the horse you clicked)

12. Dedicated button and RTF format document template for race by race screen captures and printouts - for Word and Wordpad

13. RDSS Desktop button to launch TeamViewer for Remote Support

14. RDSS Desktop button to launch Windows screen snipping tool

15. User Notes stored in Database or Cache and subsequently retrievable: by Race, by Horse, by Running line

16. Revamped Data Mgmt Tools section: simpler listing of existing databases for Switching, making New databases, Copying (i.e. Backup) of databases, downloading demo databases

17. Download from RDSS Server full race listing with details (though not PPs) each day. Card Summary screen (optionally filtered by desired race types) appears as if one had downloaded ALL race cards (to help determine which cards to purchase from TrackMaster)

18. Optionally Show fractional times on Original and Adjusted screens (as opposed to just the segmental leader's times)

19. Tweak Data Centre to allow unattended race Assembly as a Task (without quickly crashing!); Re-convert past race cards on hand to a new database (even if the card has expired from TrackMaster’s online listing)

20. Optionally relabel Analysis group headers to permit usage for other than Contender Groupings (e.g. Visual Running Style separation: F/E/EP - P - SP/S)

21. Sort most analysis screens by many more columns: e.g. RS Running Style

22. New, improved Factors:
- better Class Rating (CR+)
- TSF3+ based on Pace of Race and Horse Total Energy
- optional use of an outside (or inside) 'Power Number', e.g. TwinSpires ProfitLine, for starters; eventually, Bris Prime Power or other user-created number; OR other user-designated existing RDSS factor
- New, weighted 'Rx' Line Score and Odds line comprising VDC, CSR, Power Number (optional), new Class Rating, Early/Late composite ranking
- new Odds Line based on new Rx Rating

22. A few new Analysis Tabs: MPH (Phase III) factors, EXDC/Thoromation factors; the ability to hide Analysis Tabs you're not interested in (similar to hiding Tabs on Horse PP Panels)

23. New screen layout option: Analysis/Tote board combo (tote sorted/grouped by current Analysis screen)

24. Setup and launch multiple instances of RDSS2.1 - each having different Configuration settings and Cache

25. Identify Fulcrum, and Fastest Pace Last Race (FPLR)

Ted

Ted Craven
04-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Folks, your comments and thoughts about the above list of features is welcomed! It's a pretty aggressive list of 'To Dos' and unless there is a really compelling reason to add something I just plain forgot about - the list is probably not going to grow much (more likely shrink ...). The good news is - I am in a much better position to update RDSS 2.x more and more frequently.

My goal (may take a year or so) is that RDSS and it's integrated Help/Tutorial system linked to this website - becomes an updated documentation on using and winning with the Sartin Methodology in the 21st Century. Within 2 years (e.g. 2018) RDSS will also run entirely from the web in your browser or as a web-app (Windows/Android/iOS), with your data stored either online or locally on your device.

I'll be away traveling now until April 30 and likely incommunicado for good portions of that time, though I will look in here and to emails when I can.

I am excited about what is coming! Phew :cool:

Ted

cigar
04-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Folks, your comments and thoughts about the above list of features is welcomed! It's a pretty aggressive list of 'To Dos' and unless there is a really compelling reason to add something I just plain forgot about - the list is probably not going to grow much (more likely shrink ...). The good news is - I am in a much better position to update RDSS 2.x more and more frequently.

My goal (may take a year or so) is that RDSS and it's integrated Help/Tutorial system linked to this website - becomes an updated documentation on using and winning with the Sartin Methodology in the 21st Century. Within 2 years (e.g. 2018) RDSS will also run entirely from the web in your browser or as a web-app (Windows/Android/iOS), with your data stored either online or locally on your device.

I'll be away traveling now until April 30 and likely incommunicado for good portions of that time, though I will look in here and to emails when I can.

I am excited about what is coming! Phew :cool:

Ted

WOW - looking forward to the new release. Is there a feature in the new update version that will show all horses by running style when matching up? Eg all Early separated by Early Presser by Presser by Sustain.

Ted Craven
04-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Sort of like what Bill V has been showing occasionally?

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=19

http://paceandcap.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40277&d=1460249962

cigar
04-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Sort of like what Bill V has been showing occasionally?

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=19

http://paceandcap.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40277&d=1460249962

Not sure what Bill is looking for? When I am doing the matchup, I would like the ability to group all the Early (1A-4-6-7), Presser (1-2-3-5) & possible a space between each group.

Bill V.
04-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Hi Cigar

Ted only allows me to make 3 separations.

So I entered E-EP in section 1
P or Sp in section 2
Sustained in section 3

The reason I choose to group the Early and Early Presser together
and the Pressers and Sus/Pressers together and then last the sustained
horses is from the way Hat and Richie taughtin the Hat check area.

Is the race going Early or Other Than Early.

I want to match the Early's Then match the Early Pressers to the Early's
I get my match up winner from this group.

Now I move to the Presser or S/P group and match these horses to the Early-EP winners

Last section is the Sustained and ugly or NF horses
I look at these guys separately, I will only consider a sustained horse
if its EPR is close to the winner of the Early- E/P and Pressering top horses

Anyway that is why I spit the screen the way I did.

cigar
04-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Hi Cigar

Ted only allows me to make 3 separations.

So I entered E-EP in section 1
P or Sp in section 2
Sustained in section 3

The reason I choose to group the Early and Early Presser together
and the Pressers and Sus/Pressers together and then last the sustained
horses is from the way Hat and Richie taughtin the Hat check area.

Is the race going Early or Other Than Early.

I want to match the Early's Then match the Early Pressers to the Early's
I get my match up winner from this group.

Now I move to the Presser or S/P group and match these horses to the Early-EP winners

Last section is the Sustained and ugly or NF horses
I look at these guys separately, I will only consider a sustained horse
if its EPR is close to the winner of the Early- E/P and Pressering top horses

Anyway that is why I spit the screen the way I did.

Sorry Ted I did not look far left on the screen you displayed. That exactly what I am looking for. Bill thanks for the clarification, one question will the three grouping display on the Original tab? Can you put up a screen shot?

Bill keep up the good work on the TPR forum.

dogkatcher
05-05-2016, 03:13 PM
For matching and possibly Fulcrum searching, being able to toggle between 5ths and 10ths would be desirable on the fractional calls. :p

Ted Craven
05-05-2016, 03:28 PM
For matching and possibly Fulcrum searching, being able to toggle between 5ths and 10ths would be desirable on the fractional calls. :p

5ths and 10ths - hahaha! Oh, you were serious? ;)

So when Equibase shows a fractional time as 45.59, in 5ths you would like that shown as 45 2/5ths just like the DRF? Did I get that right? Or if you prefer a different rounding scheme to fifths, why bother rounding to fifths at all if it does not match some public, traditional record? Or perhaps I am behind the times, and DRF has a new and improved fifth second rounding scheme?

;) (Just being difficult, and only with you John ...)

Ted

Rivegauche610
05-15-2016, 08:17 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and muse that a grant of some kind is in order so that someone (and no, I have no one in mind, as I am new here) can distill 1) the Follow Ups, 2) Brohamer/Quinn/Sartin misc, 3) Recent analysis and program enhancements, into a comprehensive RDSS2 Training Manual. A caveat would have to be that it cannot hope to start "ab initio" with a neophyte and walk him or her through handicapping 101 all the way to Sartin Methodology Advanced. The material would have to assume fluency with Brohamer, Pace Makes the Race (both versions, perhaps; I got a lot from reading both) AND the fundamentals of "mainstream handicapping" that are necessary as background/preparation to understanding what is going on here. I say all this because I have been reading in Follow Ups and I feel there is a cognitive disconnect (for me, anyway) between the older pre-RDSS/RDSS2 information, especially names of the old modules/programs, their printouts and their programming, and the many, many abbreviations, acronyms and assumed knowledge on the part of the reader. So, how marvelous it would be to see a document come out of this. I used to be a technical writer in my younger days, among my other past lives, but I am not yet conversant with the program nor its intricacies nor with advanced Sartin Methodology processes, so I can't offer my services in this area. Perhaps a GoFundMe drive amongst Sartin enthusiasts? Anyway, this all just came to mind while reading through the Sartin Today Wkbk 1.

DanBoals
05-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Hey Rivegauche610, yes, a manual would be awesome. The only question is how much would it be worth to you? I used to work as a software engineer, and at one job, we were required to update the manuals, and I can tell you it is a LOT of work time wise. Someone has to pay for those hours and hours of labor. Myself, I would pay $40 for a complete RDSS2 manual that described everything in detail even if it did not go into how to handicap the Sartin way. I feel after 20 years+ I know the methodology pretty well, and can fumble my way through handicapping a race if I have BL/BL and some other basics. What I would need a manual for, is the trackmaster stuff and all the new bells and whistles that have been added since Synthesis. Like I did not even know you could split the screen to show E and E/P, P and SP, and S. That is so cool.

With Ted dedicated to programming the new version, I would think he would need to bring on a second person to do the manual, or wait until after the release and do the manual himself. Either way, a lot of time and therefore money would go into it, and I am not sure how many people would be willing to pay money for it when they can come to this forum and ask others about things they don't know. So, even though it would be incredibly awesome to have a RDSS2 manual, I just do not see it happening in the near future.

That being said, there is no reason we probably couldn't start a forum called "Documenting the RDSS" and put in our own observations on what works in what situations. We could make a "users" manual with everyone contributing ideas and input based on what they use and how they use it. Bill does this exceptionally well in his posts, but we could all throw in our 2 cents worth. With everyone adding in some help on new features and seldom used features, we could probably get a decent collection of info that could serve as a manual for new users. And don't discount new users input, they see things differently and their questions often clue us in to what is missing or needed and what needs explaining. Anyway, I would be willing to give an hour or two a week to researching and writing about RDSS and its features so that a new user can jump right in. If anyone else is interested, let's try it. If it sucks, Ted can maybe steer us in the right direction, if people like it, then the forums have a new resource.

Rivegauche610
05-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Dan, I was a civilian tech writer for the military in my younger days. I know what you mean. From my experience, it seems you can get quite a lot from the forums and from reading things like "Official Sartin Methodology TODAY Workbook for Video/Audio #1" which I guess describes the workings of the original/legacy programs. So most likely an RDSS document, which I consider somewhat of an anachronism from the early days of corporate computing, isn't in the cards, and that's OK. Not impossible to learn on the fly, however, especially if you read Brohamer's MPH and the revised PMtR. - Kevin

Rivegauche610
05-24-2016, 05:18 PM
New question, please: What is the significance of the three R-G-Y pgm #s on the Original tab screen?

gandalf380
05-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Those are the three ml favorites

Ted Craven
05-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Surprise! In fact, they are the Top CR Class Rating horses (and not Morning Line Odds). And the 4th CR ranked horse is shown in bold (as is the custom for all factor ranks on all screens: red/green/yellow/bold = rank 1-2-3-4). These ranks are shown on ALL Analysis screens. A shortcut way of identifying highly consistent contenders, across all tracks, surfaces, distances, competition levels (although, NOT a successful final and profitable separation of contenders). As discussed below, this rating is NOT related to speed, pace or velocity, and thus gives a useful 'non-correlated' measurement for discovering true contenders. Note: the improved CR+ rating in RDSS 2.1 works even better, as documented in Bill Lyster's Statistical study of V2.1 factors.

CR is our Class Rating, derived from APV Average Purse Value competed in, plus ITM consistency plus Earnings per Start.

I used the Google Site search for 'CR Class Rating formula' and found this post of mine from Dec 17, 2012. Also, a reference to an old Follow Up with the formula used, and a link to an older RDSS Release Notes documentation for CR is given. Enjoy!CR is based on Earnings, Consistency and Average Purse Value relative to today's purse, in the most recent 6 starts this year, or on all starts this year and last year if less than 6 starts this year. It has nothing to do with the conditions of those races or of today's race (i.e. Claiming, Allowance, etc).

The precise formula for CR and APV is published in Follow Up #5, Page 7 (check the Library).

Here is a link to the RDSS V0.97.0 (http://www.sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RDSS_Update_Notes_0970.pdf) Release Notes, where APV and CR were introduced, with some further notes (please see point #3)

This is an overall measurement of the horse's competitiveness and consistency, relative to today's class level of race as expressed by Purse Value (thus earnings) and not by velocity or how it ran against the pace of race, nor on the horse's movements up and down the race condition hierarchy. It also does not factor in recency, current fitness, suitability to today's pace matchup, etc. These latter Condender measurements are done by selecting representative recent pacelines (single lines, but hopefully corroborated by other lines when the horse ran well and was fit and properly placed).

Interestingly, CR and APV (Average Purse Value, a portion of which is used in the CR calculation) since they are based on money earnings and consistency and not on speed or velocity or deceleration - are non-correlated variables (i.e. they are based on different measures) - so, when you get a degree of match between Contenders which rank well on CR and which also rank well on velocity/energy measurements (and also appear to be in good current form) - you then have the synergy of looking at the horse from 2 different directions and confirmation that it is real today.
Hope that helps!

Ted

Ted Craven
05-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Kevin - I like your screenshots to illustrate your queries! Is there anyway you can capture LESS than the full screen (like many of the RDSS screenshots you see elsewhere). That will make your images smaller, not distort the posts with their over-size, and focus readers attention on the specific query at hand.

You can use the built-in Windows 'snippingtool' (type that word in the Windows Search bar to find the program). It comes with Windows, so even on your Mac.

Thanks for your questions!

Ted

Rivegauche610
05-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Yes, of course. I just figured out the Snipping Tool and used the Rectangular tool.

Rivegauche610
05-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Ted, since the screen shots appearing as posts 5 & 6 in this thread are different from what I use, can I conclude they are earlier versions of RDSS, even though they're only from April?

Also, some folks suggest in answers to my posted queries on other threads to "just read this" or "just read that", and I find myself struggling to find "this" or "that" in these forums. There are so many separate links to single-issue threads, or maybe one or two posts in a short thread, or links to independent documents, that the information tends to be spread out over a wide field. Not a complaint, just an observation. I can see why a Users' Guide would be unwieldy, but perhaps instead a search and compile effort to place so many references for beginners into a central location. I know that is your intent with the "Learning Center" (Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101")."

I also own both versions of "PMTR", and getting to the end of the original book, I see Sartin wrote a chapter entitled "Advanced Concepts" that is especially interesting.

I have also learned some interesting lessons at GP today (5/25/16) about combining/blending/incorporating additional (handicapping-intuitive?) analysis not necessarily supplied by the numbers, as many posts and writings have advised. This and others to follow is just testing to see "what the program tells me". There is much more work of my own to do, and I know that integrating judgement with readouts is crucial.

Kevin

Ted Craven
05-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Ted, since the screen shots appearing as posts 5 & 6 in this thread are different from what I use, can I conclude they are earlier versions of RDSS, even though they're only from April?
Kevin

Kevin, Well, since this discussion is occurring in the RDSS 2.1 (testing) Forum, that screen is from a LATER version than you have, i.e. the unreleased V2.1. There is stuff there not yet in your version (which is 3 years old).

I hear you about documentation being spread all over! I do remember spending a LOT of time, though, gathering all my own Release Notes for various versions into one forum: the RDSS Help & Reference Forum and all the posts and links to documents within it. Of course, over time, helpful and inquisitive folks have discussed and elaborated on anything and everything in numerous discussions here and there. It's like trying to keep a garden neat and tidy over the years ... ;)

Hope the day at GP was good to you (either or both financially and educationally)!

Also, in this thread and Forum announcing RDSS 2.1 - any chance of keeping the topic (mostly) to ... RDSS 2.1 (in case people are searching by topic)?

cheers,

Ted

So Cal Al
09-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Ted:
I have wanted to mention this for some time, so maybe now is the time to do so. It seems that the auto pace line selection uses 7.5 f races as a selection in sprint races (usually turf races). Since it is usually a 2 turn race that is 1/2 furlong shorter than a mile, it should not be used to compare to sprint lines, if possible. Your thought!

Bill Lyster
09-15-2016, 11:15 AM
Al:
I have noticed that 7.5T lines usually generate a way too generous adjusted speed rating and resultant higher placement in the final screens. If matching is something you do, I'd suggest looking only to the six furlong mark, or plan B, do what I did with SA 6.5 turf races. I compared horses that were good at both distances and recorded their adjusted speed ratings (ASR).

I mean compare the same horse who ran say a six furlong turf ASR of 80, but who could only run a 72 down the hill. Then I looked at the three fractions given by the program and determined that the 2nd fraction should be ignored (down the hill part mostly). I found that 3F and deceleration along with a mental 8 pt ASR assist would tell me if I should consider a horse further.

Good luck with your search. I only use 7.5 lines if no others are available.

Regards,

atkinsrr
09-17-2016, 02:29 PM
So Cal Al and Bill...I have had the same problems with 7.5 turf....the Bris program Multi Caps does the same thing, uses that distance as a sprint...the worst track for that is Gulfstream where they run a lot of 7.5 on the turf...I just got to a point where I quit handicapping races where that distance was involved, also the horses at 7.5 T have about a 200 ft run up before the timer starts...doesn't make sense to me.

Bill Lyster
09-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone found that adjusted speed ratings for 8.3 distances didn't seem to match up with the 8F and 8.5F ASR's?

I've seen a couple of places where the 8.3 ASRs appear about 8 or more points lower than races with the same splits for 8F and 8.5F. Of course the lower ASR would mean a lower total energy, so unless you were comparing only 8.3 lines to 8.3 lines you might discard a decent runner here and there.

For a race in question see the first at Belmont today. the #3 paid $69.00! and you would only get him if you used lines 6 or 7 from 8F and 8.5F

RichieP
09-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone found that adjusted speed ratings for 8.3 distances didn't seem to match up with the 8F and 8.5F ASR's?

Hi Bill
This has been a problem for a decade for me, I see exactly the same thing about 8 point lower than comparable 8 and 8.5f distances.

Hope you and yours are doing great!
Richie

Ted Craven
10-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Ted:
I have wanted to mention this for some time, so maybe now is the time to do so. It seems that the auto pace line selection uses 7.5 f races as a selection in sprint races (usually turf races). Since it is usually a 2 turn race that is 1/2 furlong shorter than a mile, it should not be used to compare to sprint lines, if possible. Your thought!

Al, I suppose I could add a setting in the upcoming software where the user can define what distances constitute 'sprint' and which distances 'route' for the purposes of auto paceline selection choosing 'similar' distances. This could then cover the 7.5f question.

The same case could be made for which 'surfaces' are comparable to today and which are not: at some tracks you would want to make Poly/Tapeta/whatever 'comparable' with Dirt; at some, Turf comparable with Poly, etc, etc.

Like the above 7.5f issue, these settings would likely end up track specific though, of - even worse - to/from track/surface specific. You could be changing them every race -- IF you relied on an automated process to choose 'comparable'. Of course it could all be driven by a database of track/distance/surface to/from settings.

Or - you could continue keeping a manual eye-ball out and make changes when appropriate ;)

Ted

So Cal Al
10-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Ted, since I'm a 40 year "newbie" at pace line selection, my selection process is based upon 2 steps: (1) check the auto selections, and (2) do my own manual sele.ctions. Most of the time, they match up...but not always. I also factor in other "stuff", especially in maiden turf races in So. Cal.
Speaking of "track specific", the 6.5T race at Santa Anita is a tough challenge in that the sprint turf races form other tracks, and dirt sprints, usually come up to high in Energy and can lead to false contenders. Bill may have come to the same conclusion

So Cal Al
10-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Upon further review, it looks like Bill has already addressed the 6.5T race at Santa Anita and arrived at a similar conclusion.