PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Help with Wet Fast

Turbulator
05-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Wet Fast is a track condition I'm unfamiliar with. I don't remember ever coming across it when I used to handicap on a regular basis. I always thought it was a turf designation.

I assumed I knew what it meant, but I don't think I do. Some of the speed ratings i've seen under the wet fast condition appear to be higher.

What is the definition of wet fast, and does a wet fast condtion run faster than plain old fast?

Thanks,

Steve

RichieP
05-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Wet Fast is a track condition I'm unfamiliar with. I don't remember ever coming across it when I used to handicap on a regular basis. I always thought it was a turf designation.

I assumed I knew what it meant, but I don't think I do. Some of the speed ratings i've seen under the wet fast condition appear to be higher.

What is the definition of wet fast, and does a wet fast condtion run faster than plain old fast?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,
Not sure if this will help but what I do is look at the original paceline. Especially if the horse ran well in the "wet fast" race. If the fractions and/or final time are much quicker than his other competitive finishes showing that to me is a tipoff that line is suspect. Either by track maintenance or whatever that surface was juiced up.

Rich

Dap Daddi
05-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Wet Fast for the West Coast tracks in particular Northern and Southern California circuit means that the track was sealed (Packed Tight) so that the water on top does not sink in to make the track deep muddy. The reason it is done on the West Coast tracks is that if the track comes up too muddy the jockeys won't ride calling th surface unsafe. So the track is rolled tight and is somewhat juiced. In most cases front speed/ early pressers win more than their fair share on this type of surface.

My recommendation is to handicap the contenders as though they are running on a fast track.

Dap

socantra
05-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks Dap. I've wondered about the increasing use of "wet fast" and sealed makes perfect sense. Tracks all over the country are sealing when they have advance notice of heavy rain, probably a product of better maintainence equipment.

Dick...