PDA

View Full Version : The Match Up


cprescigno
05-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Jim,

I have been trying to locate a copy of your book, The Match Up: The Experts Guide to Thoroughbred Handicapping but so far I have been unsuccessful. I did locate one copy at $125 but that's a little steep. Do you know of any source of the book?

Charlie

Rxlawyer
05-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Jim:

I just wanted to express my appreciation for this opportunity. Based on reading your book (several times) it seems to me that the first fraction is as critical as the second fraction in determining the outcome of the race. I especially refer to p. 94 where you discuss balancing the third fraction. Does it sound like I am correct or am I placing too much emphasis on the first fraction to determine the outcome?

Gary

THE HAT
05-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Charley..The Gamblers Book Club may have a copy of The Match Up. I not sure if I have any left or not, if I do I'll let you know.

THE HAT
05-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Gary..The race starts when the gate opens. The first position call is also important. I am going to (try) post an article on Early Runners, that should be a great help to every one.

Jim "The Hat"

Houndog
05-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Jimmie, really great to here from you again. I remember meeting you at several of Doc's seminars. Most notably Oklahoma City and New Orleans. I remember you saying several times at the seminars that the race does not begin at the second call. I am thinking in the Kentucky Derby you probably had 2 or 1 horses as your win contenders. I know I can benefit from your knowledge of the Match-Up, because at times I have a tendency to put non-contenders (for win) in the programs. In the Energy and Thoromation programs this is especially important.

Thanks again for your time and efforts.-----Mike.

cprescigno
05-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the info. The Gambler's Book Shop in Vegas has them in stock at $30.00
Pretty good, already you picked a winner.

Charlie

tompkins
05-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Charley..The Gamblers Book Club may have a copy of The Match Up. I not sure if I have any left or not, if I do I'll let you know.
gambler's book club has a website and a 1-800 number to check with their inventory

Rxlawyer
05-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Jim: Thanks for the response. I think I have it right. I always look to the first horse out of the gate to guide my thoughts. Gary

cprescigno
05-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Jim,

I have your book on order from Gambler's Book Shop. I also ordered a copy of Huey Mahl's book. I got a confirmation of order but no confirmation of shipping but it should be in the works.

You said you might have a copy. If you would be willing to sign it for me I would buy that one also. I've heard that you don't like writing on the PP sheets but in the case of this book please make an exception for me?

Please let me know if you locate a copy and we'll make arrangements.

Thanks,

Charlie

Rxlawyer
05-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Jim:

How do you handle a presser or sustained type horse that has been running against faster times than todays projected time. For example, if I project the early horse to run 22.2 and 46 and I have a presser who can run 2 lengths behind a 22 and 45.2 what will the presser do today? Will it go for the lead during the second fraction and run the 45.2 or will it tend to run its usual style and be 2 lengths behind the 46? Is it unwise to use the pace line where the leader went in 22 and 45.2? Should I try to find a pace line closer to the 22.2 and 46?

Gary