PDA

View Full Version : The Tandem Race

RichieP
06-05-2006, 08:56 AM
At one time this application was a big part of Howard's arsenal. Hat still uses it to help him. Pizzola really considers a "reversal" or tandem "loser" to have built in price.

Any feedback from folks here? Do you apply it in today's racing?

Rich

Turbulator
06-05-2006, 12:20 PM
At one time this application was a big part of Howard's arsenal. Hat still uses it to help him. Pizzola really considers a "reversal" or tandem "loser" to have built in price.

Any feedback from folks here? Do you apply it in today's racing?

Rich

If I remember correctly, it was Doc Sartin who said the following in "Pace Makes the Race," winners repeat only about 12% of the time. Horses who finished second in the tandem win 30% more often than normal. Horses who showed, came in fourth, or were within 3.75 lengths of the winner won 40% of the time. All of the above statements are contingent upon having two or more of today’s qualifiers coming from the tandem race, and the best tandem horse having one of the best three pace ratings in today’s race."

The natural odds on a 12% shot is 7.3 to one, which you will rarely get. Therefore you (I) must have an excellent reason to select the last race tandem winner.

I believe the tandem concept is as powerful today as it was when first introduced. The Hat still used it effectively, and I belive it is one of the most effecient ways of eliminating horses quickly.

Using software such as Speculator puts you at a disadvantage as far as tandems are concerned, because you can't seen any of the tandem races or the horses against which they competed--key races are also left out. I feel this is a major drawback of these types of software programs (Validator shows tandems), and something I hope will be addressed in the newer windows version.

That being said I feel you can get by without using tandems, but using them will make your handicapping that much more effective.

Steve

Ted Craven
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with everything Steve says. In the Windows software, Tandems will be clearly identified, ranked by several measures, and the returning horses identified.

This is a shortcoming of Speculator. When I handicap, I try to observe Tandems while going through the Past Performances, but it's really a lot more difficult than having a 'comapny line' or other listing right there before your eyes.

I agree that Validator helps identify the Tandems on the BLBL screen, but only for pacelines you have selected. This is a reminder to myself to pay a little bit more attention while I'm flipping through PPs.

I have never paid much attention to Key Races (i.e. a contentious race where several also-rans return soon to win, thus, keep an eye out for other returning entrants?); does anyone recall any commentary by Sartin or others on this? Does anyone regularly use this concept successfully?

Thanks Steve, and Richie

Ted

Turbulator
06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I have never paid much attention to Key Races (i.e. a contentious race where several also-rans return soon to win, thus, keep an eye out for other returning entrants?); does anyone recall any commentary by Sartin or others on this? Does anyone regularly use this concept successfully?

Thanks Steve, and Richie

Ted

I believe the "key race" concept was first discussed by Steven Davidowitz in Betting Thoroughbreds. Back then you had to do the work yourself by digging through result charts to uncover key races. Today, this information is in the DRF. Any horse in the company line that is italicized came back to win his next race.

This has to be valuable information. I have seen many situations where a contender in today's race has competed against, two, three or four horses in the past who came back to win. In my mind this upgrades his possibilities. If those horses he raced against previously came back to win, then he must have been competing against very strong company.

I don't remember reading anything in the Sartin literature about key races. There may have been some mention in Modern Pace Handicapping or Pace Makes the Race, but I don't recall. However, in my opinion, this does not dilute its effectiveness. Besides, if it's there in the racing form to see at a glance, would you rather be with or without this important information?

Steve

shoeless
06-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Steve ,your right Davidowitz was the first one to coin the phrase and a very useful one at that.The main thing is to catch it early enough where you can capitalize on it.Jeff

RichieP
06-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Bill is the one that used to tell me with Validator " look the 3 beat the 2 last race and the program likes the 2 over him on the bl/bl".

We hit some huge priced horses at the Meadowlands simulcasting with these tandem guys.
Rich