PDA

View Full Version : One horse win betting - the transition for me

RichieP
09-25-2006, 11:28 AM
After almost 13 years of betting 2 horses to win I have changed to a 1 horse to win wagerer. It is:
a) different
b) hard
c) fulfilling mentally

Some thoughts:

1) The bottom line is making money.

2) It is ok to lose races.More precisely a SERIES of races. I don't want to but it is one of the byproducts of betting.

3) I can lower my minimum odds acceptable to wager on from 5/2 ( 2 horses) to 3/2 betting 1 horse. $ 5.00 horse betting 1 horse is equivilant to a
$ 10.00 winner betting 2 horses.

4) I pass ALL races where my selection is below 3/2 odds at 3 mtp. Just move on to the next race.

5) Focusing on the "true" contenders in a race is very important for me. If I have more than 3 contenders I HAVE to pass because my understanding of the race is simply NOT there man. I can't afford to just guess in these cases.

6) Increased focus on decision making wagering wise spills over to increased focus in the actual working of the race. I find a bit more attention to "details" or the "little things" results

7) I have to keep fighting when I lose a series of races.

8) Value is the horse that wins the race doing this.Any other horse is a losing bet. Radically different concept but something I have to accept.

9) NOT seeing the ml odds is a GOOD thing. Then the HORSE itself becomes the TOTAL focus. Not the potential payoff.

I also gotta credit Jim for telling me these words a month or so ago:

" Rich we have NO control over the odds of our horse we want to bet. If you have your odds bet him. If you don't pass or put the horse in a daily double or pick 3. Don't go "fishing around" for something else."

Having said all the above there is NO best way to do anything. It's all good. Two horse betting - Dutching - exactas.

I post because maybe someone else attempting to switch to 1 horse betting might take something positive from this.

Richie

sweetyjohn
09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
one of the things gleaned from years of battling is that no one race presents itself to any one style of wagering. There are contests when you cannot logically eliminate the low odds horse so you work around it by tying it to the others predicatably near it in ability to today's match up.

Other races, the logical horse is attractive enough to single out. Other contests you wagers this way or that.

There should be no preset wagering but accomodate to what is given to you.

JimG
09-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Richie,

I predict the most difficult part of the transition will be when your "second horse" wins at a nice price that you would have played if you were still betting two horses to win.

Best of luck in the transition. You are a pro and I am sure you will be fine.

Jim

peter e
09-26-2006, 02:04 AM
I have used a procedure that has worked well for me for years.

I bet my top pick when it fits my requirements for a play. Usually odds of 2/1 or better. Sometimes I demand higher odds if my confidence level is not great.
If my top horse is unplayable for any reason, I pass the race.

If there is a play, only then do I look at my second and third picks. If my second pick fits my model and is 6/1 or higher it is a bet. If the second pick does not fit this criteria I look at my third pick. If it is a model fit and 6/1 or higher it gets a bet.

This helps keep away the long losing streaks of a one horse bettor, and gets some of the big prices of two horse betting.

partsnut
09-26-2006, 04:13 PM
If you can endure the run-outs, it's the best way to go.
Peter, Great post. :D