PDA

View Full Version : "The Hat" on Energy Distribution/ Example Race

RichieP
10-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Here is a word document from Jim on energy distribution. Feel free to download it and reference it.

Note** - In the last paragraph Jim uses the term " Matchup races". This is his term for tandem races. When he first started the matchup that's what HE called them. " Matchup races".

Next I will upload some pp's for a race and ask a couple of questions based on Jim's writeup.Try not to peek at the result before working the race.

Please post any questions/comments about the race ok? Then Jim will come on and comment and/or answer them.

This is an extremely cool race. :)

here is Jim's attachment

RichieP
10-05-2006, 10:53 AM
the race conditions and horse 1

RichieP
10-05-2006, 10:54 AM
the 1a and the 2

RichieP
10-05-2006, 10:56 AM
the 3 and 4

RichieP
10-05-2006, 10:57 AM
the 5 and 6

RichieP
10-05-2006, 10:58 AM
the 7 and 8

RichieP
10-05-2006, 10:59 AM
finally to complete the field the # 9

RichieP
10-05-2006, 11:09 AM
ok here is the first thing Jim says to look for ( see screenshot).

So in this race which horse or horse(s) is most likely to get out of the gate FIRST and LEAD ?

If you find just one horse then we look and see if that horse can expect any PRESSURE from another early or early presser at the 1c and/or 2nd call.

What does this race look like? how does it " set up" to be won?

are there a lot of early/ early press that might set it up for a sustained to win?

is there little or no early pressure that would point to early/ early press having a BIG edge?

RichieP
10-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Jim is teaching me that when a horse is headed - a neck or head in the pp's - it uses up units of energy because of the PRESSURE the horse feels when another comes alongside it.

He also points out that this " battle" often goes on for an extended period of time in a race while we just see the " point if call".

He says " Rich sometimes this battle can go for over a quarter mile. THIS horse if he can not have to face such pressure today will have ALL KINDS OF LEFTOVER ENERGY TO USE TODAY".

Jim will come on and comment on any questions asked about this race ok?

Richie

Ted Craven
10-05-2006, 11:17 AM
There is only 1 horse who breaks on top, or is on the lead or right near: Red Zipper. No others even care to press early. In his last race, he may have been 'headed' and used up a bunch of energy keeping this position, thus fading finally. But if no one wants to run with him today, will he conserve this same energy and thus have it in reserve to fend off the late runners?

Ted

gl45
10-05-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't play Bel, but after I talk to Richie on the phone, I FORCED myself to play a few races. The posted PP's was 1 of the races.
I had the day planned for other chores, and my mind was not set for any betting. Right there I shouldn't have bet.
Race #1 offer one of the basic ideas of the Matchup, (and I missed). TANDEM RACES.
For any Matchup student, Bel race #1 is a study case.
Thanks you Richie.
Pino

Houndog
10-05-2006, 02:30 PM
I would have to say that Red Zipper seems to me the pacesetter in this Match-Up. Other than that the August 08 Tandem race with Banrock, Be My Prince, Deelites Gold, Drinkwater, and Of All Times is the race I was looking at.

My initial impression is that out of that Tandem Race Drinkwater looks strong in this race.

Forego
10-05-2006, 04:27 PM
i have a question about running styles. the 1 horse shows a couple of different styles. mr Bradshaw how would you consider this horse's style to be?

thank you

shoeless
10-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I believe the 2 horse could apply pressure on the front end.Jeff

admin
10-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Jim and Rich

I want to say the Match Up has been working like magic
its turned my confidence to a high level
Richie has been a great help Almot every day I have a great report
In the few races I have been able to work
Many more races will be needed to practice on
but Its a very profitable future that I will gladly invest the time In

This is a very hard race, To be totally honest
I would wimp out and never try such a race
The three tandems are freaking me out
I feel many of the indecision felling Doc talks about.. I feel blocked
and I start to doubt myself. I am struggling with the tandem
step. I feel like I should bet the horses that lost in the Tandem race
This is a big problem

anyway not to be a wimp I worked the race
hey I can only lose it once
I would bet the 7 and the 1

shoeless
10-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I would go with either the 1 or 8,I think the 9 could show speed as well.Jeff

RichieP
10-05-2006, 09:20 PM
This race to ME has a lot going on relating to learning the matchup

1) Turf Race

2) Shippers

3) Tandems
a) Fast and slow
b) Multiple

4) WINNING running style Issues

5) 1st call positional stuff

Jim is gonna show us some REAL solid matching techniques. Also want to thank him for making that Energy document available to us here.

Riichie

Rich

THE HAT
10-06-2006, 12:36 PM
The Belmont Turf Race is a great example to explain match up procedures.
Mark the Tandems and running styles of the horses in today’s race. The two major tandems are the King Glacken and Incredible Speed tandems. The Incredible Speed tandem, is a fast tandem from Saratoga. I know it was fast, because Be My Prince ran in both Tandems and ran similar in both. The Tandem concept works best if the Tandem race was at today’s track, and today’s distance. but is viable for any race anywhere in the past performances, but it is best to give preference to the Tandem at today’s track at today’s distance.

To determine running styles look at all of the races in the past performance and find were the horse runs his best. Always start with the first call to determine the running style. This procedure will assist in deciding how the race will run.
Most of the horses in the race are Sustained runners, or shows no consistent running style. The only horse that shows consistency is Red Zipper, who is both an Early and an Early Presser. Red Zipper is a lone early in this race. Red Down South shows speed three lines back, but has changed, or altered his running style. The same applies to Of All Times. Even if Red Down South or some other horse gets the lead Red Zipper will be able to catch and pass them. Red Zipper will have units of energy to fight off any challenge.
Do not get caught up in the theory that only Sustained horse win turf races. Red Zipper is an Early turf horse and shows he can win running early. This is what you look for to reverse tandems. Red Zipper was beaten in his last race, because he challenged a front runner and energy exertion caused him to lose the race. This Early horse he fought with is not in the race today and he should have energy to spare. The other horses from the Tandem are Sustained runners and will not be a factor in today’s race, because Red Zipper is a lone Early.