PDA

View Full Version : Jim Bradshaw's Matchup - The Final Lesson - 1 year update

RichieP
07-03-2007, 08:52 AM
I am going to show you something that took the Hat months to get me to understand.

This is Hat's Voodoo. Some serious Voodoo at that.

The race I will put up ran couple nights ago. I called Jim up with about 10 minutes to post,sent him the pp's and we both nailed the nice winner. I will describe what thoughts were in my head and then Jim will post up what he told me before the race ran.

Hopefully these 2 descriptions will help crystallize the picture for you. It took me about 4-5 minutes to work the race and no bull**** within 20 SECONDS of opening the race Jim tells me who is gonna win!

I am going to ask you for a favor please. After you learn this,apply this and start winnning races I want you to take the time to TEACH it to your son, nephew,daughter etc. Someone YOUNGER than you who you know likes racing.

Tell them you learned this from Jim "the Hat" Bradshaw from Tulsa, Ok. The Master of the Matchup. "He taught me, I show you, later you show someone you know". Then if they are interested show them this forum and turn them onto the 5 step approach.

This way Jim's teachings can be passed on to younger generations in a very cool way. Ok? I think Jim would be very happy folks took the time to do this.Thank you.

I guarantee with concentrated practice you will pick up on it's unique requirements and start winning these races while others around you shake their head in disbelief.

WHY? Because in many of these races the FIRST horse thrown out is going to be the betting favorite! Don't know why it happens like this but it often is the case.

This involves a certain makeup of the horse's past performances. Something when you take the time to LOOK for it will be clear cut and trigger this very nice feeling inside that good things are a coming.

Give me a little while to collect both the pp's and my thoughts then I will be back to post up the race pp's.

Richie

RichieP
07-03-2007, 11:44 AM
"Rich I like to sit and just watch races. All kinds of races." - "The Hat"

"I watch when the gate pops what the horses DO. Some immediately charge to the front.You can see them looking around and they will do all they can to get the lead position.These are the BOSS horses of the race." - "The Hat"

"Then there are others who when the gate pops look around and WAIT for others to take the lead. They are comfortable FOLLOWING the lead horses at the beginning of the race. You can SEE it in their eyes Rich.They will look around WAITING for the boss to take charge EARLY." - "The Hat"

" After the gate pops I watch the horses settle into their positions. The ones who can NOT get their desired position stand out like sore thumbs. You can see em looking around like lost sheep Rich. They are beaten right there."
- "The Hat"

" When there is NO lead or boss horse crazy things WILL happen Rich. Someone HAS to take the lead and whomever that is AUTOMATICALLY is running OUT of their natural position. You can see them looking around thinking "like what is going on here". They will do crazy things" - The Hat"

"Jim I lost this race and what's worse is it ran exactly how I thought and my horse got DESTROYED. No one wants the lead in the race Jim. I found the horse that was gonna get it by DEFAULT and he was fast. I bet him confidently,he got the lead uncontested and he got crushed." - Richie P - April 2007

" When there is NO lead or boss horse crazy things WILL happen Rich. Someone HAS to take the lead and whomever that is AUTOMATICALLY is running OUT of their natural position. You can see them looking around thinking "like what is going on here". They will do crazy things" - The Hat"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

" After the gate pops I watch the horses settle into their positions. The ones who can NOT get their desired position stand out like sore thumbs. You can see em looking around like lost sheep Rich. They are beaten right there."
- "The Hat"

mufasa
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Rich:

This is not only a great site to learn how to best use some of the Sartin based software out there now and from years past but it is especially special because of you and your special connection to “The Hat” and his and your gracious almost hands on guidelines of how best to use the Match up methodology. I am so glad to have this opportunity.

Thanks and have a happy July 4th,

Robert

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Rich:

This is not only a great site to learn how to best use some of the Sartin based software out there now and from years past but it is especially special because of you and your special connection to “The Hat” and his and your gracious almost hands on guidelines of how best to use the Match up methodology. I am so glad to have this opportunity.

Thanks and have a happy July 4th,

Robert

Thanx "Mu".
btw "Mu" stands for matchup ;).

Richie

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:23 PM
If you want to learn this don't go looking for the result online now. WAIT and follow along. Let the concept sink in with an OPEN and RELAXED mind.

Pp's of the field. Concept and work to follow

Today's distance is 6f

horse 1

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:23 PM
horse 2

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:24 PM
horse 3

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:24 PM
horse 4

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
horse 5

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
horse 6

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:26 PM
horse 7

RichieP
horse 8

RichieP
horse 9

RichieP
07-03-2007, 02:29 PM
finally horse 10 to complete the field.

There is not one past performance sprint line on ANY horse in the WHOLE field where any horse has the LEAD at the FIRST call. NOT one.

LOOK please.

RichieP
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
When Hat works races he gets very quiet with himself through a form of meditation. He says it is a must for him and told me months ago I should try the same thing.

He made a cd of calming,chanting Cherokee songs and sent them here.Told me to play them on a low enough volume where the chants and rhythms would be barely heard but loud enough to be "heard" by the mind and soul.

I have done this for months BEFORE beginning to work a race or series of races and after the initial shock it is amazingly PEACEFUL.

Here is a link to Jim's website. http://home.att.net/~jimbradshaw/heal.htm
This is a healing,soothing chant he had me listen to before my cd arrived. I would listen to it a couple of times with my mind quiet then continue listening while I "looked" at the race. It is the chants that play on THAT page I am referring to.

I share this now with YOU as a show of respect to Hat and the Cherokee way. There IS something to it's ability to "quiet" the mind so please feel free to try it.

We will get to the race details,workup in the morning. For now if you like listen to the chant as suggested and just RELAX and scroll the pp's of the horses ok? Let your mind take in what it wants and just ENJOY the process.

RELAX.We are going into the "Hat Zone" and it is a PEACEFUL place to be.

"When the mind is quiet intuition comes to the fore" - The Hat

Jonathan Steele
07-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Richie,

Hello my friend. All I can say is: THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to type-up your thoughts, for sharing these mo$t valuable insights, subtleties of The Match Up (not included in Jim's book), knowledge you've gained via one-on-one lessons from The Hat. You could have simply kept mum (with this knowledge) and smiled all the way to bank--repeatedly. But no, you chose to share; and to borrow a slogan from another messageboard: Sharing is Caring. And that is what we do here...some more so than others but each according to his abilitiy and/or time constraints.

And for that, I am grateful...very grateful.

Very sincerely,

Jon :D

admin
07-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Hello Rich

when I woke up and it was very calm I listened to the chant
then I looked over the race

I have a very good feel for this race

I did the race with Val 4
I think its fantastic that what your teaching in this lesson will work
for any method. Thank you so much

emilio840
07-04-2007, 03:07 AM
Hi Richie. The Chant is very relaxing. I first did the Alpha Meditation for 1/2 hour (the Silva Method) and than I started to listen to the chant and to me it is very smooth. I feel that I am at the alpha level where the brain freq. is between 7 and 14 cycles per second. Its really great.

Do you know if Jim uses the CD's from Lisa Thiel to meditate with? She sings the song the Buffalo Woman. And many more relaxing songs.

emilio

RichieP
07-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Sharing what Jim has taught me makes me feel good.

He took a LOT of time out of a full and happy life he is leading to teach me HIS way so giving back is automatic.

Richie

RichieP
07-04-2007, 09:01 AM
This absolutely can be used with/without software. Glad you liked the chant!
Pretty cool ha? Can you imagine the looks we would get if we're at the track and started playing it?? lol

Richie

RichieP
07-04-2007, 09:04 AM
I know when Jim goes to the track he "gets quiet" by closing his eyes and just meditating a bit. Bill saw this upclose when he went down and stayed with Hat. I really need to get down to Tulsa. Having trouble getting someone to look after mom for 4 days. When that is resolved I am GONE.

Richie

RichieP
07-04-2007, 09:23 AM
I am going to explain MY way and thought processes when approaching these type races. Then Jim will come on and describe what he sees/does.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) In these specific race matchups where NOBODY has shown they want the lead at the FIRST call I look for the horse most likely to take the early lead today and throw him OUT.

In today's race when scanning the horses I figured the #6 Quiet Dare would most likely take the lead early on. Here are his pp's again. last race in mud had an excuse/big trouble at the start.

2nd and 3rd lines back against 22 second first calls he was fairly close at 1c. What got me hooked was in BOTH races he MOVED forward going to the 2nd call after facing those fast 1st calls.

Matched up against the rest of the horses in today's race I felt the #6 was going to get the early lead.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the first 2 things I do are:
1) TOSS #6 out of the race as a WIN contender right now.

2) Keep his 22.0/ 22.1 first call pace of race in my head. I want to make sure my "other than early" selection is gonna be fast and has shown something when he faced that same pace of race the 6 did. Looking for a positive REACTION in similar pacelines.

Here are the pp's of the horse I believe takes the early lead today therefore putting him out of position and an elimination.

take your time,look at all the horses pp's.

screenshot of #6 Quiet Dare

RichieP
07-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Next step for me is to go one by one through the field to find the true contenders.

I entered 22.0 first call in projected pace 1st call so each horse I come to I can QUICKLY see how or IF he reacts well to the same pace the #6 elim faced.

so we start with the 1 horse and move QUICKLY through the field. THIS is how I was taught ok? TRUST first instinct and act on it. Hat does the same thing with me when he works races only he does it SOOO fast its crazy. I'm serious

Horse #1
shows only 1 line against highlighted pace, finished 4th. that's ok. then looked at the horses last FIVE lines and see it is a horror show. doesn't know what it's doing man.

OUT

RichieP
07-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Horse 2

faced the pace one time and that was in the mud 10 races back. Don't like evaluating off mud and slop lines BUT he did well.

I keep him for now and mark last line to evaluate against other contenders

IN

RichieP
07-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Horse 3

another who's only race looks good against the 22.0 is a slop race. This one however had 2 chances after against slower times on fast tracks and did nothing.

OUT

RichieP
07-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Horse #4

never faced 22.0. slow ass horse

OUT

RichieP
07-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Horse 5

Faced 22.0 and FASTER pace twice. both fast tracks. both races REACTED well judging by in the money finishes in both

also last line shows QUICK positional move and is a tandem where he defeated the 9 horse.

So far the horse to beat in my opinion.

IN

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Horse 6

we have tossed as first elimination because he gets the lead today and is out of position..

OUT (at post time odds of 2/5.) THIS is Hat Voodoo at work man

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Horse 7

shows a decent race below aginst the 22. last race shows nice quick move

IN

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:03 AM

slow router

OUT

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Horse 9

never faced the 22 pace plus was beaten by the 5 in a tandem last race

OUT

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Horse 10

shows 1 sprint. was aginst the 22. went backwards

OUT

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Chopping out contenders:

we have 4 to work with at the start.

First up we see the 2 and 7 raced together in a tandem with the 7 MOVING quickly ahead of the 2 by the stretch call of the tandem

Positions
#2) 5-5-3-3
#7) 6-6-2-2

7 beats the 2.

2 is now OUT

We also remove the 1 horse who if you look back had that 1 good race against the 22 BUT who's last 5 races were a horror show.

The 1 is now OUT

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:20 AM
we are down to 2 horses. the 5 and the 7.

2 horse bettors stop here and win the race.

match the 2 QUICK moving positional lines of the 5 and 7 against each other NOW if you are a 1 horse bettor.

#5) 6-5-2-2
#7) 6-6-2-2

WHO is ahead of the other???

The #5.

richrosa
07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
This is an excellent post. Thanks for sharing it. A great example too. A very clear posting even though I didn't do the chant.

I have one question.

I see your emphasis on tandems. I'm uncertain why they should matter unless the tandem race in question qualifies under the 22.0 projected pace criteria that you set. If the tandem is in a differently run race, it would suggest a possible different outcome for each horse dependent on running style and ability against that kind of pace. I might be missing something, or be dead wrong, but I'm very curious as to your intended application of tandems.

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Here is the result chart for the race.

LOOK at what happened to the #6 when he finds himself OUT OF POSTION and running on the lead. LOOK.

He has no damn idea what the heck to do with the lead so he runs as fast as he possibly can and goes too fast too early.

Ok?

You will see this time and time and time and time and time again IF you look for it.
There was a contest race couple of weeks back on the grass. SAME THING.

The 6/5 fav was gonna go for the lead today and hadnt had it before. I told Hat before the race ran he was DEAD meat. SAME THING happened and he was crushed by the winner and place horse. All the folks betting him not understanding this idea are still wondering what the hell happened. We know what happened. He was out of position. Btw I lOST the race with my bet on the place horse.
You WILL see this time and time and time and time and time and time again IF you LOOK for it.

Jim will come on in a day or so and describe what he told me before the race ran. he will show you something that frankly I NEVER even thought of regarding the #5! Amazing.

This concludes my work in the thread. I hope I was able to convey this concept in a way that you can understand ok? THIS is VERY powerful.

When (not if) you start working these races and begin winning them YOU are definitely doing some VOODOO. Make NO mistake about it.

Richie Pizzicara

RichieP
07-04-2007, 10:38 AM
This is an excellent post. Thanks for sharing it. A great example too. A very clear posting even though I didn't do the chant.

I have one question.

I see your emphasis on tandems. I'm uncertain why they should matter unless the tandem race in question qualifies under the 22.0 projected pace criteria that you set. If the tandem is in a differently run race, it would suggest a possible different outcome for each horse dependent on running style and ability against that kind of pace. I might be missing something, or be dead wrong, but I'm very curious as to your intended application of tandems.

"tandems are to be used when they help you and discarded when they do not" - Jim Bradshaw

richrosa
07-04-2007, 11:06 AM
thanks for the reply. Your application of this method is very powerful and well thought out.

Your answer, quoting Jim suggests that I might be right. I would suggest that tandems are useful when the race suits your projected pace, and are not useful when the pace is radically different.

When we look at the #9 horse

never faced the 22 pace plus was beaten by the 5 in a tandem last race

I can understand elimination by the 22.0 pace, which is fast at MNR for this level, but the tandem race was 22.9 which is a tad more customary of a pace, leaves me still curious.

Also, this leads to another question. If the horse never faced a 22.0 pace, and is more of a "sustained" type, should that matter, especially if the pace is out of sorts for that track/distance/surface par? It might be safe to suggest that the faster they go against the par, the more it benefits horses that are late in the field, much like it benefited the 5.

admin
07-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Hello Rich

when I woke up and it was very calm I listened to the chant
then I looked over the race

I have a very good feel for this race

I did the race with Val 4
I think its fantastic that what your teaching in this lesson will work
for any method. Thank you so much

Hi Rich
I got It :)
My thoughts were the 4 and the 5 I see how tight it was with the 7
things would have worked out for me If i did the race because i was getting $13.00 + on a 5/2 ML and I didn't even put in the FAV
#6 Thanks for your explanations and screen shots
The chant and your teaching helped me
I did the race as if Doc were looking over my shoulder
and I was in a good place focused
I used val 4 basic line selection and used the MUG and E/L
screen along with BLBL
This method is 100% a plus thank you!!!

emilio840
07-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Richie. Do you always use the last line to match the contenders.

emilio

RichieP
07-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Richie. Do you always use the last line to match the contenders.

emilio

NO but I DID work THIS race exactly as I described. Jim will describe his way later.

The Matchup is NOT rule based.

You can work the race anyway you see fit.

RichieP
07-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi Rich
I got It :)
My thoughts were the 4 and the 5 I see how tight it was with the 7
things would have worked out for me If i did the race because i was getting $13.00 + on a 5/2 ML and I didn't even put in the FAV
#6 Thanks for your explanations and screen shots
The chant and your teaching helped me
I did the race as if Doc were looking over my shoulder
and I was in a good place focused
I used val 4 basic line selection and used the MUG and E/L
screen along with BLBL
This method is 100% a plus thank you!!!

Bill
I knew you were gonna get the winner! Just that feeling again bud.

RichieP
07-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Also, this leads to another question. If the horse never faced a 22.0 pace, and is more of a "sustained" type, should that matter, especially if the pace is out of sorts for that track/distance/surface par? It might be safe to suggest that the faster they go against the par, the more it benefits horses that are late in the field, much like it benefited the 5.

best thing to do in my opinion is work many races yourself and let the results answer your questions. This way you are not relying on anything but yourself and what your results show.

If they show this method to not work applying it your way kick it to the curb.

If they show the method does work head to the bank and make deposits and thank The Hat. Not me. This is HIS matchup not Richie's.

froggy
07-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Richie,

I love what you've explained and the way you did it.

My wife thinks I am nuts listening to the chants and working the races.

Thanks a million,

Froggy

azbacks
07-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Richie,

Thanks for the run down on how you looked at this race. I learn so much from your posts, along with Match Up 2.

Pete

Jonathan Steele
07-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Bravo, Richie!

I got a lot of work to do before this becomes second nature...that's okay, it'll be worth every second of it.

All the best,

gl45
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Yesterday I received a phone call from a friend. He ask me to start to post again, (i wasn't posting much before anyway).
We discussed the above race, and my comment about the match up was:
Some people will not get the winner because they will use BLS rather than Positions. I might be wrong, but the few times that I analized races with Mr. Bradshaw, he kept mention positions and not beaten lengths vs. the POR that the horse run, and those comments kept me thinking. How could I give a numerical value to the horse's positions in order to select the right paceline for today race? After a few months and a couple of hundred races the light bulb went on.
The following Syn2 attachment shows early and sustain readings using positional analysis only, and not beaten lengths.
For those that are familiar with Syn2 will see #5 excell in both readings.
lbj

The Yank
07-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Richie:

This analysis you presented appears to contradict an earlier principle of the Hat:

" We want to bet the horse that is closest to the lead positionally factoring in pace of race" - Jim Bradshaw

Which one is it then?

I'm honestly confused????:

RichieP
07-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Richie:

This analysis you presented appears to contradict an earlier principle of the Hat:

" We want to bet the horse that is closest to the lead positionally factoring in pace of race" - Jim Bradshaw

Which one is it then?

I'm honestly confused????:

In the opening post to this thread Yank I posted these 2 paragraphs:

"I am going to show you something that took the Hat months to get me to understand.

This is Hat's Voodoo. Some serious Voodoo at that."
That is why THIS race type took MONTHS for me to have an understanding of. It is DIFFERENT.

Like a craftsman using certain tools for different jobs that is what IS required here.

Also why four MONTHS have passed leading to this "Hat Lesson" Yank.

I told Hat I WANTED to post it even though it might cause chaos for some initially. It is supposed to. This truly IS Voodoo man.

WAIT til Jim comes on tomorrow and lays out what he did. I asked him NOT to water anything down and give the "FULL TREATMENT".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep an OPEN MIND

Richie

VoodooFan
07-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Another Pulitzer Prize , Noble Peace Prize work, yet again Rich. The New Match Up Guy is truly the Son of the Hat. Dude's talkin 'bout altering brain wave patterns with Native American chants to " get in the zone". This is GOOD, GOOD voodoo , deep voodoo, folks. The de-mystification of a historical puzzle and enigma that STILL baffles us today is being unravelled before your eyes, people, thanks to the Doc, The Hat, and Richie P. Just about all Sartin programs are based in the principles of this post. Mathematicans, Computer Scientist and Engineers, Magicians, and EVEN countryfolk and cowboys who feed, wash, train and sleep with their horses mornin and night cannot now or in the future get as close to solving this paradox as it is laid out here: The truth about equine behavior as it relates to the racetrack; The Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw MatchUp. If Mr. Bradshaw was still creating programs, he could never improve or create a teaching/winning program more advanced with superior algorithms than The New Match Up Guy. The genius just keep evolving his game, and it takes us awhile to realize what he is doing. I, for one , am VERY, VERY appreciative of what the Collossal Twin Tandem crimefighters are doing here. Please don't let up on your new invention, Mr. Bradshaw, give'em all he can handle. Can't think of a better inheritor of the MatchUp than your new invention. Thanks Bill, for re-populating the once ghosttown known as the Sartin Methodology from legend and lore. Keep up the good work fellas. VoodooFan

xtb
07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Very cool workup of this race Richie, thanks for posting it. It makes me want to watch the runnerup to see what he does in the future. In his next race, looking back at this race without looking at the other horses, he will appear to be an early horse, but was actually a false early (is there such a thing?) since he got the lead by default in a paceless race. We'll have to see if he learned something in this race and his running style changes or, if he reverts back to his natural rs. If so, it will be good info to know why a horse runs early when he does.

Jonathan Steele
07-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Okay, when do you NOT use it? This part of The Match Up is not clear to me, i.e., when to and when not to use the last line to match-up contenders.

Some guideline(s) would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Emilio asked:

"Richie. Do you always use the last line to match the contenders."

Richie said in response:

"NO but I DID work THIS race exactly as I described. Jim will describe his way later.

You can work the race anyway you see fit."

RichieP
07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Okay, when do you NOT use it? This part of The Match Up is not clear to me, i.e., when to and when not to use the last line to match-up contenders.

Some guideline(s) would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Emilio asked:

"Richie. Do you always use the last line to match the contenders."

Richie said in response:

"NO but I DID work THIS race exactly as I described. Jim will describe his way later.

You can work the race anyway you see fit."

Morning Jon
I have to answer your question in 2 parts.The SECOND part is the one that to ME is most important.

1) with practice and a focused effort to work the Matchup without letting this mainstream stuff become part of your work. Stuff such as rules,recency,
etc.

2) When your MIND is relaxed and QUIET it will "make the call". Working hundreds of races in this environment your mind "will make the call". This is INTUITION.

Richie
P.S. - If you use software a more rigid or application style of line selection/testing can be used to produce an acceptable "answer". It's all good.

RichieP
07-06-2007, 09:21 AM
The New Match Up Guy is truly the Son of the Hat. Dude's talkin 'bout altering brain wave patterns with Native American chants to " get in the zone". This is GOOD, GOOD voodoo , deep voodoo, folks. The de-mystification of a historical puzzle and enigma that STILL baffles us today is being unravelled before your eyes, people
VoodooFan

Voodoo
You have locked in on the MOST important part of Jim Bradshaw's Matchup.

Your description of "getting in the zone". Without it we can NOT match Jim's way. Maybe Tom,Dick,or Harry's way but NOT Jim's way.

Getting in the zone allows INTUITION. Without it one is in deep water.

I relax my mind every day using Jim's cd and it is most gratifying and rewarding.

VoodooFan let me turn you on to another "Hat Trick" right now:

Assumed - One takes the time to quiet the mind before each session of working races.

"Hat Trick" - When you first open the Form and begin to look at your first race
if you get the feeling the pp's look like mumble jumble or garble:

STOP and go home man! It's NOT gonna happen for you THAT day. Your INTUITION is telling you "hey bud I am not feeling this today".

socantra
07-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Okay, when do you NOT use it? This part of The Match Up is not clear to me, i.e., when to and when not to use the last line to match-up contenders

Some guideline(s) would be much appreciated.[[/I]

Jon,

I think what Richie is trying to say here is that at this level there are not only no rules, but damn few guidelines. You use the last line except for when you don't.

I've never been to culinary school, but have been commercially cooking for the better part of 50 years, mostly various ethnic specialties. The people I learned from don't use Cups, Tablespooms, or even temperature measurements in their cookng.

I remember one old Mexican woman in South Texas years ago whose measurement units were one to three fingers, a small handful, large handful and whatever larger containers she happened to have laying around. Temperatures were slow fire and hot fire. You added ingredients when the consistency was right and served it when it was done.

The exact measurements and recipes are the work of cookbook writers and beancounters and the result of them is the standardized, homogenized pap that is our national diet in our fast food nation. The broad general knowledge is much easier to acquire, but it doesn't produce masters.

What Richie is passing on from the Hat is process, thought and going to that special place. The details are too variable to be supplied in advance and are going to require you making decisions depending upon the ingredients you are working with at the time. You learn to make those decisions by making them over and over, getting them right and getting them wrong.

Dick

VoodooFan
07-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Voodoo
Your description of "getting in the zone". Without it we can NOT match Jim's way. Maybe Tom,Dick,or Harry's way but NOT Jim's way.

Getting in the zone allows INTUITION. Without it one is in deep water.

VoodooFan let me turn you on to another "Hat Trick" right now:

Assumed - One takes the time to quiet the mind before each session of working races.

"Hat Trick" - When you first open the Form and begin to look at your first race
if you get the feeling the pp's look like mumble jumble or garble:

STOP and go home man! It's NOT gonna happen for you THAT day. Your INTUITION is telling you "hey bud I am not feeling this today".

Thanks Rich-----N-I-C-E "Hat Trick" ........................... VoodooFan

mufasa
07-07-2007, 07:42 AM
quote]”The Matchup is NOT rule based.

You can work the race anyway you see fit."[end quote]

Rich:

Considering one of your quotes as stated above or in spite of it: A little help with the clarification as to how you and “The Hat” deal with the use of races that have been equalized, normalized, and adjusted (ENA) as to the Match Up Methodology. I believe I have heard you say in other post that you use original times but yet I believe I have read in Jim’s books that he has or will adjust as to distance if necessary? I have a couple of problems with races that are more then 1/8 furlong in difference going through the ENA process and then the computations suggesting that the NTL router (lets say) is now all of a sudden faster then the NTL sprinter. Intuitively, I prefer the ENA process when the differences in distance are minor to none. If you could, I would like to know if you or Jim could throw some additional light on this subject as it pertains to the Match Up Methodology.

Thanks,

Robert

RichieP
07-07-2007, 09:02 AM
quote]”The Matchup is NOT rule based.

You can work the race anyway you see fit."[end quote]

Rich:

A little help with the clarification as to how you and “The Hat” deal with the use of races that have been equalized, normalized, and adjusted (ENA) as to the Match Up Methodology. I believe I have heard you say in other post that you use original times but yet I believe I have read in Jim’s books that he has or will adjust as to distance if necessary? I have a couple of problems with races that are more then 1/8 furlong in difference going through the ENA process and then the computations suggesting that the NTL router (lets say) is now all of a sudden faster then the NTL sprinter. Intuitively, I prefer the ENA process when the differences in distance are minor to none.
Thanks,
Robert

Hi "Mu"
the ONLY adjustments that Jim has taught me in a little over a year of working with me are these:

1) Use 6.2 seconds (in fifths) per half furlong to equalize distances. Sprints,routes,dirt,turf,stakes,claimers etc etc.

One of the most remarkable things I have seen to be honest "Mu". A UNIVERSAL adjustment.

It is amazingly accurate and allows one QUICKLY to equalize distances and get to the REAL issue of every race we work: WHO is the bet in this race.

example:
a) 2 contenders are being evaluated from 6f lines. The 3rd contender has as his "power line" a 5.5 race. final time of that line = 1:05. since 5f is 1/2 fur shorterr than 6f you take the 6.2 seconds and add that to the 1:05 giving you a 6f matching line of 1:11.2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) The "Backup" - Today is 6f and 2 contenders are being evaluated off 6f lines. 3rd contender has 2 lines that look good to you. 1st is from 6.5f and the 2nd is from 7f. Use the STRETCH CALL times from both those pacelines as they are taken at the 6f mark of the race. STOP the race there and evaluate using stetch call time and positioning.

This "Hat" method is called the "Backup" and is something he showed me EARLY ON in working with me. VERY early on to be honest so I strongly suggest this whole adjustment process should be practiced over and over and over and over again til it becomes second nature ok?

The 6.2 seconds per 1/2 furlong and the "Backup" are the Hat's unique ways of adjusting pacelines.

Richie

RichieP
07-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Very cool workup of this race Richie, thanks for posting it. It makes me want to watch the runnerup to see what he does in the future. In his next race, looking back at this race without looking at the other horses, he will appear to be an early horse, but was actually a false early (is there such a thing?) since he got the lead by default in a paceless race. We'll have to see if he learned something in this race and his running style changes or, if he reverts back to his natural rs. If so, it will be good info to know why a horse runs early when he does.

Great post "X",
I showed Jim your post.

He is going to address it in his writeup and as you will see he DEFINITELY has an opinon on what will happen when the 6 races again!

Richie

RichieP
07-07-2007, 09:44 AM
The broad general knowledge is much easier to acquire, but it doesn't produce masters.

What Richie is passing on from the Hat is process, thought and going to that special place. Dick

Dick,
Exactly what I am trying to do. Pass along what Jim "experiences" when he works races and is teaching me.

Remember in school those flash cards? Here are some "Matchup flash cards" if you will.

1) Intuition
2) Act Fast
3) Fast horses
4) Don't look back
5) Positions
6) Quick move
7) 6.2 seconds
8) Early
9) Other than early
10) First call
11) Fighter
12) Quiet mind
13) Relax
14)FUN!!

Take care,
Richie:)

Turbulator
07-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I couldn't get the Hat's chants and songs to play on Firefox, but they will play fine on IE. Did anybody else have that problem?

Some of the chants play for a while and then stop. I was wondering if there was any way to get them to play on a continuous loop.

I keep playing some of these chants over and over again. I love them. I'd like to figure out a way to put them on my MP3 player so I can listen to them when I'm playing poker.

Thanks for Sharing, Richie.

THE HAT
07-07-2007, 03:48 PM
While every race is different, the influence that pace has on the competitors in today's race are predictable. Like human beings, thoroughbred horses have defined behavioral patterns, or running styles. To understand the Match Up, it is essential that you learn to identify running styles and
learn to match these running styles. Once this has been accomplished it is possible to decide what is going to happen in today's race.

Horses finding themselves out of position, or in a different pattern, react differently. An Early horse that cannot get the lead may "sulk" and quit running. A late horse on the lead may run too fast, and exert his energy, or he may run too slow and get caught from behind. This type of horse usually
reverts back to their original running style in their next race. Over the past year these are some of the things I have taught Richie.

The race Rich has posted is a "pace-less" race. A race that does not have an Early horse. When I approach this type of race I do not worry about who will take the lead, but the running lines of horse that have run against the fastest pace. Remember, I do not worry about the last race, but the "power" lines of the horses. I always look at the last race, but do not limit myself to using it. Now I will show you how we worked the Race.
The five and six horse have run against the fastest first fraction and the fastest second call. So, these are the running lines we zeroed in on. The one horse has run up close in slower time and will not be a factor in today’s race The other horses in the race have not faced today’s faster pace and
are eliminated. We decide the six horse will inherit the lead. (Read Richie’s reasons for elimination.)

We evaluate the five horse and decide he is the big move horse. In his fifth race his moves were: 8-7-5 -3. In his eighths race his moves were : 7-6-6-3 and in his route race his moves were 3-3-1-1. We believe the five horse will run the same positions as in the fast sprintst his beaten lengths
will be closer. I changed the last two position of the fast sprints to 3-1 from the route line. The positions in these races are now 8-7-3-1 and 7-6-3-1. This gives me a feel of moves in today’ race, These are advanced match up techniques and is procedures I have taught Rich.

Remember, we do not use software and are not looking for running lines to enter, nor adjustments to make. We are looking for the winner in today’s race and we have no rules that must be applied.

Turbulator
07-07-2007, 07:23 PM
We evaluate the five horse and decide he is the big move horse. In his fifth race his moves were: 8-7-5 -3. In his eighths race his moves were : 7-6-6-3 and in his route race his moves were 3-3-1-1. We believe the five horse will run the same positions as in the fast sprints his beaten lengths will be closer.

I changed the last two position of the fast sprints to 3-1 from the route line. The positions in these races are now 8-7-3-1 and 7-6-3-1. This gives me a feel of moves in today’ race, These are advanced match up techniques and is procedures I have taught Rich.

This is voodoo. In the 12 years or so I have been studying the MatchUp, I don't think I have ever been able to do anything quite like this. Most of the time I feel it is still way over my head, and there's a lot that I just don't comprehend.

Like Jim says, every race is different. It's really very hard to determine which techniques to use in which race for every different situation. There is always some "fly" in the ointment. Sometimes I just get lost in the shuffle, and I don't yet have the confidence to say, "Yup, there's the winner," which I know is what must happen to successfully apply this technique.

Nonetheless, it's fascinating to read and think about.

I appreciate you sharing with us, Jim. You'll always be number one in my book.

zetema
07-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I couldn't get the Hat's chants and songs to play on Firefox, but they will play fine on IE. Did anybody else have that problem?

Some of the chants play for a while and then stop. I was wondering if there was any way to get them to play on a continuous loop.

I keep playing some of these chants over and over again. I love them. I'd like to figure out a way to put them on my MP3 player so I can listen to them when I'm playing poker.

Thanks for Sharing, Richie.

Hi Turbulator,

You canbuy the CD on Amazon.com.

Artist - Verdel Primeaux
Album - Sacred Path: Healing Songs of the Native American Church

On Amazon you can listen to the song samples to verify that they are the same as those on The Hat's website.

Happy Chanting!

VoodooFan
07-08-2007, 12:52 AM
In his fifth race his moves were: 8-7-5 -3. In his eighths race his moves were : 7-6-6-3 and in his route race his moves were 3-3-1-1. We believe the five horse will run the same positions as in the fast sprintst his beaten lengths
will be closer. I changed the last two position of the fast sprints to 3-1 from the route line. The positions in these races are now 8-7-3-1 and 7-6-3-1. This gives me a feel of moves in today’ race, These are advanced match up techniques and is procedures I have taught Rich.

WOW!!! That IS Advanced. That techique must be from seeing the past performance AND feeling what the horse normally does and is going to , position wise, do today. Gonna be chewing on that one for awhile. Thanks for the DEEP insight. VoodooFan

Jonathan Steele
07-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Richie,

Greetings my friend. I sorta have an idea of what you're saying. All I can say is I have more (lots more!) practicing to do as well as re-reading The Match Up--both the original 'red' Sartin-released manual and The Hat's latest version of his book.

Best regards,

Richie sez:

Morning Jon
I have to answer your question in 2 parts.The SECOND part is the one that to ME is most important.

1) with practice and a focused effort to work the Matchup without letting this mainstream stuff become part of your work. Stuff such as rules,recency,
etc.

2) When your MIND is relaxed and QUIET it will "make the call". Working hundreds of races in this environment your mind "will make the call". This is INTUITION.

Richie
P.S. - If you use software a more rigid or application style of line selection/testing can be used to produce an acceptable "answer". It's all good.

Jonathan Steele
07-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Richard,

Hi. Yes, I get the idea...through practice (lots of it!) you get an instinctual feel what to do and what to use. Been there, done that (and continue to do so) as far as selecting which paceline (to use) when analyzing a race using other tools--be it simple speed figures or which representative line to enter into a computer program.

After so many times doing it "I just know" which one to use. Hard to explain...all I know is that I can do it.

Now I gotta add the Match Up version of it to my repertoire and there's only one way: Practice, practice and more practice...:)

Best regards,

socantra said:

Jon,

I think what Richie is trying to say here is that at this level there are not only no rules, but damn few guidelines. You use the last line except for when you don't.

I've never been to culinary school, but have been commercially cooking for the better part of 50 years, mostly various ethnic specialties. The people I learned from don't use Cups, Tablespooms, or even temperature measurements in their cookng.

I remember one old Mexican woman in South Texas years ago whose measurement units were one to three fingers, a small handful, large handful and whatever larger containers she happened to have laying around. Temperatures were slow fire and hot fire. You added ingredients when the consistency was right and served it when it was done.

The exact measurements and recipes are the work of cookbook writers and beancounters and the result of them is the standardized, homogenized pap that is our national diet in our fast food nation. The broad general knowledge is much easier to acquire, but it doesn't produce masters.

What Richie is passing on from the Hat is process, thought and going to that special place. The details are too variable to be supplied in advance and are going to require you making decisions depending upon the ingredients you are working with at the time. You learn to make those decisions by making them over and over, getting them right and getting them wrong.

Dick

RichieP
07-08-2007, 11:35 AM
This is voodoo. In the 12 years or so I have been studying the MatchUp, I don't think I have ever been able to do anything quite like this. Most of the time I feel it is still way over my head,

Let me show you something that might help you to do some creative things with pacelines Steve while not freaking out during the process. :)

Isn't using adjusted numbers "Voodoo"?? When a "fig maker" says a 1:10 line really is a 1:11 isn't THAT Voodoo? What is he doing?

He is using some thing concrete (the ACTUAL time the horse ran RAW) and is adding things to it based on HIS opinion of what "should be". So the fig makers "Voodoo" lines EVERY day and folks use them and swear by them.
Right?

So I say ANYONE that has used adjusted numbers is and has already trusted enough "Voodoo" in their racing that doing some "creative stuff" with pacelines should be NO big deal.

Key is to
1) Quiet the mind
2) Trust your first instinct and ACT on it.
3) Relax

I KNOW you can do this.

You just have to put aside the "mainstream's thinking" that you can NOT change lines or manipulate things in horse's past performances.

YES you can.

Then the first time you do it and the horse wins you can have that really cool feeling of your hair standing up on your arms! You KNOW you have just done something very special.

take care,
Richie
P.S. - NONE of this can be done if the mind is not QUIET and RELAXED. None of it.

RichieP
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Not one horse in this race has EVER had the lead at the FIRST call. Today's distance is 8f.

we have a horse( not shown) who IS gonna get the lead at about 49.2 for the FIRST call today and will be out of position (I will post his pp's after. you will see it). btw the ACTUAL time for todays race ran 49.3! Amazing.

RELAX, look around at this screenshot. THESE are contenders who CAN get to their comfortable POSITION.

Remember:
FIRST CALL = 49.2 on the out of position leader today(not shown yet)

Who is the WINNER among these contenders? 2 horse bettors most welcome!

I told you earlier in this thread - "you will see this over and over and over and over and over again".

I was not kidding man. All you have to do is LOOK FOR IT.

Deja voux all over again.

"Hat Helper" - READ Jim's post about what he did and LOOKED for.

Result goes up Thursday ok? If you look before on "net" please don't post it here so others can do their thing.

Thank you
Richie

gl45
07-10-2007, 04:19 PM
in a paceless race the fastest time of any presser will be considered a contenter:

24.2 49.1 116.1 3-2-3 position

lbj

mufasa
07-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Rich:

I would go with Prince, 3rd line, in which he ran into a 49.1 while gaining a position and coming from a faster 1st call time of 24.2.

Robert

VoodooFan
07-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Remember:
FIRST CALL = 49.2 on the out of position leader today(not shown yet)

Richie

Did you establish the 49.2 as the 1st call because thats the closest to the lead any horse had in his past performance between the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile? Because I thought you start at the 1/4 mile for the 1st call in routes? In routes, does a horse's position dictate his running style or is this at the 1/2 mile in routes? Looks like Prince is the fastest and closest, position wise and pace of race. He can come from 3rd back or 5th back and be competitive and in the money. Thanks Richie VoodooFan

RichieP
07-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Did you establish the 49.2 as the 1st call because thats the closest to the lead any horse had in his past performance between the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile? VoodooFan

YES.

You will see the pp's on him after the result is up. Doing it this way because I want folks to FOCUS only on looking at a group of WIN contenders and then FOCUSING on:

WHO IS THE BET(S).

Btw Jim is VERY pleased with all this. He WANTS folks to understand IF they take the time to:

1) Get their mind quiet
2) Recognize REPEATING patterns
3) FOCUS on matching and NOT adjusting

They CAN matchup horses and come to DECISIONS on who is the bet.

WHO IS GOING TO WIN.

That is what Jim wants to help folks with.

Richie

Turbulator
07-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Let me show you something that might help you to do some creative things with pacelines Steve while not freaking out during the process. :)
Isn't using adjusted numbers "Voodoo"?? When a "fig maker" says a 1:10 line really is a 1:11 isn't THAT Voodoo? What is he doing?

He is using some thing concrete (the ACTUAL time the horse ran RAW) and is adding things to it based on HIS opinion of what "should be". So the fig makers "Voodoo" lines EVERY day and folks use them and swear by them.
Right?

So I say ANYONE that has used adjusted numbers is and has already trusted enough "Voodoo" in their racing that doing some "creative stuff" with pacelines should be NO big deal.

Richie,

I get your point about manipulating things the way you want. You're right, making adjustments, figs, all of it is in it's own right some form of voodoo.

What I don't get, and what I'd love to understand is HOW the Hat figured out these techniques in the first place. How did he come to these conclusions?

I'd like to understand the genius behind his particular brand of voodoo.

That's what baffles me more than anything. How did he figure this stuff out.

Virtually no one else does these kinds of things--but they work.

Was it just experimentation? Trial and error?

It really is first level thinking at the highest order.

So simple, yet so very hard--otherwise everyone would be doing it. It would have been thought of by a lot of people long before.

Turbulator
07-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Not one horse in this race has EVER had the lead at the FIRST call. Today's distance is 8f.

we have a horse( not shown) who IS gonna get the lead at about 49.2 for the FIRST call today and will be out of position (I will post his pp's after. you will see it). btw the ACTUAL time for todays race ran 49.3! Amazing.

Who is the WINNER among these contenders? 2 horse bettors most welcome!

Well, only one horse has run to that 49.3 pace--Prince. The way I've been doing things, as long is his line is a decent one that's enough for me.

His running position in that race good race is 3 2 3 3. In his other race his running position is 5 3 1 2.

Now for me, the fact that he is the only horse who ran decently against the projected pace is enough. In fact, he ran slightly better than the projected pace. But if I read the thrust of this thread correctly I can take it a step further. I can now take the last two positions of his slower race and juxtapose those into his faster race.

So I take the last two positions of his 5 3 1 2 race and put those into the last two positions of his 3 2 3 3 race. So his new position is 3 2 1 2. And by doing this it makes him look even better. Much better in fact than any of the other contenders just by running positions alone.

In other words, since this is a paceless race he won't be as far back, therefore you can use the last two positions of his slower race to see where he might actually run--I think.

I take that back. I went back and reread Jim's explanation of why he changed the positions of the horse that eventually won, and frankly I'm still confused about the reasoning. My above reason is just a guess.

I'd really like to get a more in depth explanation of why you can change the positions (and or beaten lengths) from one race to another, and when, where and how it does apply. Once I get a better handle on that particular technique, I think I've got it.

Thanks

gl45
07-10-2007, 07:45 PM
why should I adjust, when the contender has the best raw pace times and positions
lbj

VoodooFan
07-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks Richie. These last few post by you and the Jedi-Master was killer. Before these post, I thought POSTION was a mere fraction of the total component. Did not realize HOW MUCH and MAJOR a component it was; NOW, I look at postions and moves more seriously, and look at beaten lengths more subjectively. Looks almost like beaten lengths are in the ballpark, catagorically speaking, like tandems. If they can help you use them, and if they can't, disregard them. That last "Hat Trick" by Mr. Bradshaw was awesome. He simply used what the horse would normally do 9 out of 10 times for the 1st two calls : The horse always is in the back of the field, regardless of time, and maybe passes 1 or 2 horses between the 1st call and 2nd. His main move is after the 2nd call into the strectch and finish. Mr. Bradshaw seemed to look at what he did when he was the closest to the leader in one of his positive races, and attached that part to the part of the race where he normally makes his move, since he will be closer today. Very Advanced, and Incredible. Supreme Pace Analysis of the horse, itself, and it's personality. What the horse will most likely do "in the real world". If I'm righthanded and use it 98% of the time, if someone crowds my right, if 7 out of 10 times my record shows I'll use my left if my right is crowded, I'll probably use my left. Keep up the good work Richie, great presentations. Mr. Bradshaw is polishing you to a mirror finish. Your training is making us "better handicappers of reality". VoodooFan

emilio840
07-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Prince looks like he has almost 1second advantage at the 1/4, and also has 1second advantage at the first call. So, with those 2 advantages he should improve his position of 3 2 3 3. Which should make him a winner.

emilio

Turbulator
07-11-2007, 04:06 AM
why should I adjust, when the contender has the best raw pace times and positions
lbj

Unless I have this whole concept wrong, I'm not looking at it like it's an adjustment, but rather more of a barometer of how he is actually going to run.

By changing the positions you are getting a more realistic view of the probable, actual running style. You get to see how he's really going to be placed in the race. It's a more accurate view, a picture if you will of what the chart is going to look like. I can't wait to see this chart by the way.

I'm not saying I understand it yet, or that I'm right, but that's my take.

I'm hoping if I've got this wrong I'll be corrected.

I really want to get this.

RichieP
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
By changing the positions you are getting a more realistic view of the probable, actual running style. You get to see how he's really going to be placed in the race. It's a more accurate view, a picture if you will of what the chart is going to look like. I can't wait to see this chart by the way.

I'm not saying I understand it yet, or that I'm right, but that's my take.

I'm hoping if I've got this wrong I'll be corrected.

I really want to get this.

I was talking with Jim yesterday afternoon and mentioned to him that a seperate thread FOCUSING on altering paceline positions ( a.k.a. "Voodoo")
was something I wanted to do with you guys.

Let me make sure things are being done in the proper order first please. There IS an "order" to learning this. I HAVE to do it right.

1) We are now dealing with concepts well BEYOND the book ok? These are ADVANCED matching tools.

2) You CAN do this. Relax. You WILL do this.

Chart goes up tonight. Good matching guys!
Richie

RichieP
07-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Nice work EVERYONE!

RichieP
07-11-2007, 09:46 AM
here is the horse I deemed to be the one setting the pace.

kind of easy to spot here - sprinter stretching out

ok

emilio840
07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Richie. What about those horses that come from the fastest pace in his pp (power lines) and he runs something like this. 3 3 6 6 or 2 4 6 6

Do you keep these horses or do you throw them out because they are going the wrong way.

emilio

RichieP
07-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Richie. What about those horses that come from the fastest pace in his pp (power lines) and he runs something like this.
3 3 6 6 or 2 4 6 6
Do you keep these horses or do you throw them out because they are going the wrong way.
emilio

They do not look like power lines to me Emilio. They look like races where they can NOT handle THAT pace.

VoodooFan
07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I was talking with Jim yesterday afternoon and mentioned to him that a seperate thread FOCUSING on altering paceline positions ( a.k.a. "Voodoo")
was something I wanted to do with you guys.Richie

Remember, we do not use software and are not looking for running lines to enter, nor adjustments to make. We are looking for the winner in today’s race and we have no rules that must be applied.

What a great sequel. "Hat Check" is a real, live classroom and lab. From the " 8 month update" and beyond, it's definitely "The MatchUp 3 -Advanced Concepts and the Art of Voodoo in Chaos in Thoroughbred Handicapping". Man, our cup runneth over. VoodooFan

Jonathan Steele
07-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks Richie...your (The HAT's) lessons are most appreciated. The Match Up concept is slowly starting to sink into this "linear"-thinking brain of mine. :)

All the best,

emilio840
07-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi Richie. Can you tell me your definition of a power line on a horse.

emilio

RichieP
07-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi Richie. Can you tell me your definition of a power line on a horse.
emilio

Emilio,
How bout we do a seperate thread on recognizing Jim's "Power Lines"?

Richie

THE HAT
07-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Good Job Guys…
Once you have learned to work one type race, using The Match Up, you can apply the same principal to similar races. The Match Up is "pattern recognition." Try to learn different patterns that are applied to different type races.