PDA

View Full Version : the tandem

tompkins
02-02-2006, 10:51 AM
It is wise to review basic tennants of the Methodology once in awhile. Howard Sartin got the idea of the tandem from one of his friends, a boxer, who noticed that the top middleweights took turns defeating one another. After studying it, he came to the conclusion that the WINNER last out, would come back doing exactly the same things that got him to win, while the competitior, would CHANGE the way he did things. One adapted, the other did not, so the outcome would go to the new strategy. Once applied to horses in head to head he advised that one gave BOTH the same number of beaten lengths when evaluating them realizing that the form cycle as well as the horse's connections had changed. Still works today

admin
02-02-2006, 07:10 PM
One of my favorite plays is a tandum race were the winner rates worse on Bl/Bl than the horse it beat
The beaten horse gets you odds and a win more than you would imagine

Bill

RichieP
02-02-2006, 08:10 PM
One of my favorite plays is a tandum race were the winner rates worse on Bl/Bl than the horse it beat
The beaten horse gets you odds and a win more than you would imagine

Bill

Mine too Bill! Preach on brother Bin ;)

luv
Richie

shoeless
02-02-2006, 08:29 PM
On the Las Vegas Seminar tapes it is suggested for tandem races if possible select a different paceline for the horses that ran behind the winner.That way you will get a different reading.Shoeless

alydar_ David
02-03-2006, 10:44 AM
On the Las Vegas Seminar tapes it is suggested for tandem races if possible select a different paceline for the horses that ran behind the winner.That way you will get a different reading.Shoeless

The other approach is to enter the same beaten lengths for Horse A as Horse B had in the tandem race, even though Horse B was the winner.

Franky, I don't think much of either approach and I've tested them extensively.

My conclusion is that they don't "take turns" beating each other. Rather, different horses are in different form cycles. Some of improving, while others have peaked or on the way down. They aren't motorcycles. You can't expect the same performance every time. That's the hole in the tandem boat IMO.

RichieP
02-03-2006, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=alydar_David]The other approach is to enter the same beaten lengths for Horse A as Horse B had in the tandem race, even though Horse B was the winner.
QUOTE]

That's how I was taught back in the early 90's also David by "Hat" Bradshaw.

Today I like Bill's look on bl/bl when a horse beaten by another rates higher then the one who beat him.

Rich