PDA

View Full Version : + and O's

shoeless
09-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi Ted,

I had to take my car to the shop and took along the red matchup manual(lots of good stuff in there by the way).The part on form cycle analysis seems like a good idea and wondered if this included on your program.

Ted Craven
09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Jeff,

How would you assign the + O and +O symbols for this horse?

Markups:

red underline: >= 1 lengths gained on turn or stretch
blue underline: >= 3 positions gained

Ted

shoeless
09-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Ted,

I can see from the underlines where that could help you with +O races,I never knew what those markings really meant.

From top to bottom

+
+O
+O
+
O
+
+
O
+
O

But Im kind of on the fence on the 2nd,6th,7th and 9th as Doc warned about giving horses good races due to a slow pace

I think in one of Hat's programs he has it good,bad,ugly so I didnt know if RDSS had any designations like that

shoeless
09-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Have a few questions on that screen shot

What do these mean?

pf3,tsf3,ts,tpp

Ted Craven
09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Ted,

I can see from the underlines where that could help you with +O races,I never knew what those markings really meant.

From top to bottom

+
+O
+O
+
O
+
+
O
+
O

But Im kind of on the fence on the 2nd,6th,7th and 9th as Doc warned about giving horses good races due to a slow pace

I think in one of Hat's programs he has it good,bad,ugly so I didnt know if RDSS had any designations like that

I'd agree with your assessment. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything EXTRA added by yet another set of symbols (+ O +O) distinct from the symbols which indicate about the same info already. In otherwords, 'good +' races are where the horse finishes in the money, 'not-so-bad, or hidden-good +O' have underlined moves, up close for a few early fractions, or gaining positions and lengths, and 'bad races O' any others. You could argue that the only 'Bad Race' is line 10, because every other race which you might call 'Bad' had a move in it which foreshadowed an improved performance the next out.

Do you think between the colours for in-the-money, the bold for 4th, the colours for up-close positions in the early fractions and the underlines showing lengths or position gains - between those markups we have the equivalent - or better - of the traditional + O +O symbols?

Ted

Ted Craven
09-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Have a few questions on that screen shot

What do these mean?

pf3,tsf3,ts,tpp

PF3 = Projected Fraction 3, ranked (aka Projected Power Fraction, or PPF, described by Pizzolla and others)

TS - True Speed, ranked (average velocity from start to finish)

TSF3 - Rank of Average of True Speed plus F3 (shown on Segments screen)

TPP - Total Pace Potential, ranked (shown on Energy screen). The aggregate of E/ep (Early Energy Potential) and L/ep (Late Energy Potential). Two good improvements suggested by Sartin to the earlier EPR + LPR = CPR.

Jeff, I agree with your emailed suggestion that it is soon time for a series of seminars or Primers to discuss some of the newer factors and to review the tried and true ones. It is indeed my goal to do precisely that as part of the RDSS 2 project, and I invite you to look for that over the next few months as the project comes to delivery.

Ted

pktruckdriver
09-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Jeff,

How would you assign the + O and +O symbols for this horse?

Markups:

red underline: >= 1 lengths gained on turn or stretch
blue underline: >= 3 positions gained

Ted

Ted I think the red line and blue lines are totally awesome, and again visually show you moves that you may overlook with quick glance's, are they part of the new RDSS2 or just something you used to show your point here.

They would be welcomed by me for sure, hopefully we can incorporate them into our capping, if not what program did you use to put the lines in, as putting them in manually would be okay too, as it makes sure we see how the horse runs, or has run in the past.

Thank Ted

patrick

shoeless
09-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Ted,

I think your right about really no need for the added symbols and what you have done is very sufficent.Like I said before I never really quite understood those lines in PP'S until your explained it.

Also thanks for the explanation on those readouts that I didnt understand.I think you and Bill do a good job of explaining things simply.

Jeff

Ted Craven
09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Ted I think the red line and blue lines are totally awesome, and again visually show you moves that you may overlook with quick glance's, are they part of the new RDSS2 or just something you used to show your point here.

They would be welcomed by me for sure, hopefully we can incorporate them into our capping, if not what program did you use to put the lines in, as putting them in manually would be okay too, as it makes sure we see how the horse runs, or has run in the past.

Thank Ted

patrick

Patrick,

It's a built-in part of the set of markups for pacelines, and I'll describe it further when it gets tidied up and ready for the next Beta release (schedule to follow, soon).

Even if you don't use the last paceline to represent the horse today, just observing a move around the turn or in the final furlong even if the finish was unremarkable, or not the best it can do if fit today - gives more confidence to go back one or two lines for a better effort.

Ted