View Full Version : ** Update: Saratoga 2012 Plans
Ted Craven
03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Hello Everyone,
This is just to kick off the official notice of the annual Pace and Cap Sartin Methodology Weekend at Saratoga Racetrack. This year we'll meet from Friday August 17th through Sunday August 19th. As usual, Saturday is the Alabama Stakes day and we've had a pretty good track record on that race over the past 4 years! Members from PaceAdvantage.com will also be gathering these same days and during the week preceding.
We have a bunch of tables reserved for us on each day and can comfortably accommodate 20-25 people in our usual gathering spot in the big white Festival Tent, just s short walk to the right of the main entrance way. As usual, we'll have power supplies for computers and possibly portable wireless hotspots, though I hear Saratoga may have plans for track-wide wireless (I will not depend on that though).
On both Friday and Saturday evenings, we have reserved conference facilities in downtown Saratoga for a Sartin Seminar, handicapping workshop, meet and greet and hopefully a few 'guest speakers'. Again this year, the meeting facilities are courtesy of our good friends at Players Reps NHPlay.com (http://www.sartinmethodology.com/rebate_info) (though different facilities from last year). Stay tuned for more info on this!
If you've never been before, now is the year to join in the festivities and learning opportunities, and to meet some of the folks you know and love from online. Take a few moments to browse through the posts and pictures from previous years. If you're making your August vacation plans - circle that weekend on your schedule and see you all again at the Spa!
cheers,
Ted
lsosa54
03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Hotel resrvations are made - I should be getting into town around noon on Thursday the 16th and staying through Sunday again. I'll be staying downtown within walking distance of the track this time around. Save me a seat.
gandalf380
03-08-2012, 10:08 PM
NYRA did announce this week that Saratoga will have facility wide wi-fi but I do not know if that will include the backyard. In addition, Saratoga will have a day of steeplechasing on September 15 with the infield being opened for the first time in many years.
wagercapper
04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Looking forward to it. If only we could bribe the weatherman...
Mr.Pagine
04-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Team,
This will be my first year attending. Can someone suggest a hotel?
Thanks in advance.
JD
lsosa54
04-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Team,
This will be my first year attending. Can someone suggest a hotel?
Thanks in advance.
JD
Not within walking distance but acceptable motel style room. I made my reservation late last year. $169 a night at the time. When I was a kid, this would have been a $20-25 a night motel room. Nice folks. 10-15 min. cab ride to track.
Top Hill Motel
3290 Route-9, S. Broadway,
Saratoga Springs, NY-12866
518-584-5232 or 800-852-9759
Where I'm staying this year. Walking distance and in a nice area of downtown. I expect room to be nicer. Don't know if they have any availability left. $209 Thursday, $219 Fri-Sat
Saratoga Downtowner
413 Broadway
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Phone: (518) 584-6160 Fax: (518) 584-2907
Ted can also give you a place or two.
mikesal57
04-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Hi..
Anybody interested , I can get friends and family discount at this hotel
its in Albany, 30 minutes from Track....
Mike
P.S.- Act quick!!!
pktruckdriver
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
I am seriously thinking I may not go to Saratoga this year, even thou I have a place picked out ( deposit paid ) and job set up, and the best job I ever had at that. Might be depression setting in, and I feel that maybe I do not belong there, you ever get that way ??
Last year was for me very enjoyable, access to everything Saratoga, meeting all kinds of people, trainers and owners, jockeys, and not to mention all the Backstretch workers, the backbone of the track, a truly humbling experience to say the least. And yet the most fun job I ever had in my life, even better than the Quality Control guy at the Chicken Ranch.
I want to go back and see them all, yet it seems that a few of the people I really wanted to go there with will not be there this year, and some others are unsure of there travels, which leaves me alone in the Spa, while it is still a great place, but without others to enjoy it with , I am not sure of my desire to have fun will be there this year.
Last year meeting Richie and Bill, while it was great seeing them, as well as Ted and Barb, and Charlie, and a few others who I did not really talk to, it was better than year 1 in Saratoga, and I can say I have lived "The Spa Experience ", the ambiance of summer time in the Adirondacks , and it was spectacular, yet it is not really me, yet working on the BackStretch was me, here I met people that were friendly and dedicated to what they did there love of the horse is way beyond anything I may obtain, the pride they take in the job they do, while being content to live the way they do, not unlike how I have lived when I lived out of my truck. Might be why I got along so well with them all, yet this year, I am still deciding to go, as stated, some workers and some friends will not make it this year, and it will be a lonely place without them there.
I do hope all that come enjoy yourselves, it really is something else, 25-35 thousand people a day every day, amazing the turn out each day, what a family experience , and that may be why I am reluctant this year to go, no family or friends to get in trouble with or mix it up with, concerts, golfing, and so much other stuff, but not alone, not this year... but then again
patrick
pktruckdriver
06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
It's official, I am not returning to Saratoga this year, My buddy Spence can not make it, with good reason, and without a friend such as he I choose not to work there this year.
I will be sad this summer, but reality is I do not need to try to fit in there, while last year was very enjoyable, and my job was the best ever, I can now say I was there and move on, next track and area I wish to move to would be Gulfstream, if possible, and I will try with my all to make it so, at least for 1 full racing season.
Otherwise I am moving into Chicago or Hot Springs , Ark, and hopefully find a mentor during the season, and keep moving on, trying to enjoy as much as I can before , yeah, that day...
Patrick
gandalf380
06-29-2012, 06:03 AM
I for one am disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing you again this summer.
pktruckdriver
06-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Thank You
I too will miss sitting on your porch , watching the people go by, your picks, and hospitality, that you and the your lovely better halve offered me.
I may return in the future or even stop by this year for a day or so, maybe a weekend.
Patrick
pktruckdriver
07-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I happen to be in Saratoga tonight, and will leave for Tunkhannock in the morning after I unload.
I was able to go see the track and say hi to a few of the friends from last year, including some of the old NYRA guards, and 2 old barns that were favorites of mine, and coulda easily stayed all night, but the barns go to bed early as they are up early.
Man when it get's in your blood it is tough to get out, not gambling, but the rest of the horse racing industry, the backstrech people, my wonderful place I spent last year at, and all wished me well and invited me to stop by anytime , when ever I get this way, and I think I will too.
It starts this Friday, last night I saw the traffic light on Hwy 50 was out by SPAC, as they had an accident, looked like no real injuries, thank goodness, just a few crumpled cars, always treat an intersection with lights out as a stop sign and all will be fine.
Patrick
wagercapper
07-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Saratoga opens Today! I will be going up there today & tomorrow, but not to the track. I'll be attending the Saratoga Blues Festival.
It's all over the news that Saratoga does, in fact, have wi-fi. The intention is to reduce long lines by having patrons bet through their computers. One would have to put some money into an account at the beginning of the day. There are also several new food & beverage facilities, including a beer garden. They claim you can get a beer for $3, but that remains to be seen.
Ted Craven
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
I am able to update folks on our plans for the weekend of August 17-19. In addition to our collection of tables in the Festival Tent during the day, we'll also be having a seminar-style event Friday evening and a more casual get together Saturday evening beginning at 7pm at the conference facilities of NHPLAY, 125 High Rock Avenue in downtown Saratoga Springs.
On Friday night, we'll have some special guest speakers and hopefully time to handicap a few races for Saturday's card. On Saturday night, the atmosphere will be more casual with pizza, drinks, conversation and of course handicapping Sunday's card.
Friday Evening's Seminar Agenda (tentative) 7pm - 10pm
1. The Sartin Methodology Then and Now, and the 'Inner Game of Handicapping' - with (the Rev) Bert Mayne. Bert was one of Doc Sartin's original teaching members from the early 1980's, contributed numerous articles to the Follow Up journal, spoke at many, many seminars, often on the topic of mental and emotional preparedness and the inner skills required for success in this game. And not forgetting his superior skills at handicapping and wagering! When he's not busy preaching and ministering at his local pastoral charges, Bert's other focus is on NYRA tracks and Finger Lakes, and he has recently updated his tools to include RDSS. This will be a chance to hear about the continuity of the Methodology over almost 30 years - from someone who was there then, and is here now.
2. A presentation on a state of the art wagering platform and online betting practice management toolset, by a representative of NHPLAY, our affiliated Player's Organization. Ask questions of a serious bettor: what kinds of bets do they make, what tools do they use. How to ramp up the betting side of your game.
3. Presentation on the current state of RDSS 2.0 by Ted Craven. Where we're at, where we're going.
4. Another presenter, to be confirmed.
Saturday Evening Get Together 7pm - 10pm
A casual get together, we'll order pizza, bring your own drinks. There will be wi-fi and power connections for everyone's computers, we'll have a DVD large screen projector to display computer screens. We'll work Sunday's races and have questions and answers and celebrations from the day's racing (Saratoga has been good to us so far this year!)
The cost for either or both Friday and Saturday evening's events is $20 at the door. Everyone who comes receives a natty RDSS Ball Cap (see photos below, or the Order Page (http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8523)). A seat at the tables during the day in the Festival Tent at the track is $5.00.
Note: 125 High Rock is an office building with a locked front door. We'll have someone at the door to let you in, and/or a phone number to call to reach someone inside. Come early, come often!
See you at the Spa!
.
Ted Craven
07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
As part of the evening events, or $20 if you can't make it in the evening, a stylish RDSS monogrammed ball cap can be yours! Adjustable size, soft, durable cloth top, rigid brim (known to bring good luck to the wearer, at least, works for me ... ;)).
If you can't make it to Saratoga this year, use the Ball Cap order page and I will mail it to you: ~ $25.00 including shipping in the US and Canada (more, overseas).
Ball Cap Order Page: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8523
28477 28478
.
Love the hat! I'll be sure to order one. Hopefully it is made for a big head. :eek:
Jim
wagercapper
07-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Greetings to all from Saratoga Race Course! I am in the festival tent using the wi-fi. So this verifies that it works! It's only 100% humidity today & we're off turf (BOO!), but hey, it's still SAR. Looking forward to seeing everyone up here next month.
Wagercapper
DocSartinLearner
07-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi Ted,
I would like to know if you'll have a Ballcap in a darker color, so that it can hide the dirt and it can be washable too, all for $25. Waiting for the order page to appear.
Thanks, but I'll not see you all at the Spa!
DocSartinLearner (D.S.L.)
Bert Mayne?
You got my interest - Bert taught me a lot at several seminars and workshops aside from the full gang. I look forward to seeing him again!
Glad I am coming for the weekend this time!!
wagercapper
07-29-2012, 07:18 AM
How about a cowboy hat with RDSS on it?
Ted Craven
07-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi Ted,
I would like to know if you'll have a Ballcap in a darker color, so that it can hide the dirt and it can be washable too, all for $25. Waiting for the order page to appear.
Thanks, but I'll not see you all at the Spa!
DocSartinLearner (D.S.L.)
DSL,
Sorry, but I only made the one colour. It is 100% cotton and you can wash it.
Sorry to miss you at Saratoga this year. Maybe one day in New Orleans ;)
Ted
Ted Craven
07-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Bert Mayne?
You got my interest - Bert taught me a lot at several seminars and workshops aside from the full gang. I look forward to seeing him again!
Glad I am coming for the weekend this time!!
Besides the evening events, I think Bert is planning to spend days in the Festival Tent, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. He told me he asked for the time off from preaching on Sunday!
Ted
Ted Craven
07-29-2012, 08:28 PM
How about a cowboy hat with RDSS on it?
Maybe for that gig (http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8522)in Las Vegas :eek:
--> ;)
Ted
DocSartinLearner
07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi Ted,
I got the information from the order page, but when can I use PayPal for the payment of US$25.00 and enter my physical address (no P.O. Box permitted).
I'll look for a Cap Holder to put it in the washing machine and it will never get softening.
Thank you and wishing you ALL the best,
DocSartinLearner (D.S.L.)
lsosa54
07-31-2012, 04:25 PM
I A seat at the tables during the day in the Festival Tent at the track is $5.00.
.
Ted
Will you need a commitment and/or upfront payment on the Festival Tent seating? My plan is to be there Thursday at some point through Sunday.
Thanks.
Lou
Ted Craven
07-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi Ted,
I got the information from the order page, but when can I use PayPal for the payment of US$25.00 and enter my physical address (no P.O. Box permitted).
I'll look for a Cap Holder to put it in the washing machine and it will never get softening.
Thank you and wishing you ALL the best,
DocSartinLearner (D.S.L.)
DSL,
RDSS Ball Cap Order page is working now: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8547
Ted
Ted Craven
07-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Ted
Will you need a commitment and/or upfront payment on the Festival Tent seating? My plan is to be there Thursday at some point through Sunday.
Thanks.
Lou
Lou,
It should be good to just show up! The PA group and us have comingled all the tables this year and I think I ordered 5 tables (in January, the memory fades ...)
Mum and I will be in town from Wednesday evening through Monday AM.
Looking forward to seeing you there again!
Ted
Any chance you are going to audio or video tape the conference part of the seminar for those that cannot make it?
Jim
Ted Craven
08-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Jim,
Yes, I do plan to record the Friday evening seminar. Raw footage might take a bit of cleanup, so it's not certain when it will be publicly available, but I will make sure it is eventually.
Sorry you can't be there ...
Ted
DocSartinLearner
08-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi JimG,
Good question to Ted Craven and for all who cannot make it to the Festival Tent At Saratoga 2012 (August 17-19), with some exceptions, who will be there with Ted & Barb Craven since Wednesday, August 15 thru Monday, August 20, 2012.
Yes, to those who cannot be there, we welcome something to audio or video tape the racing with the idea to learn more on handicapping with RDSS from this weekend seminar.
But, for all to remember, don't feel overwhelming! Always be Safe, be Happy and Happy Handicapping!
All the best,
DocSartinLearner (D.S.L.)
pilot
08-13-2012, 04:23 AM
I will be there, this will be my first time in Saratogo. I cannot wait.
Wayne
Bill V.
08-13-2012, 08:59 AM
I got your PM about SYN 2
Just mention what you wrote to me to Ted when you see him
Sorry I can't make it this year
hope its a great time as it always has been
Bill
barb craven
08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I look forward to meeting you Wayne. I know you'll have a good time. The energy created by so many good people gathered at the same time at such an historical track is incredible. We'll miss you Bill, it won't be quite the same without you.
I don't know what Ted has in mind for the seminars as far as taping them, but I just got a new camera with panoramic capability, so I'll try to put together some pictures of the track from the grandstand and of the goings on around it., and of course of all our people. I know Ted will be too as he just got a new camera as well. I probably will have more time than he. If it's anything like other years, he will be spending most of his time helping others and showing off RDSS to curious people.
There will definitely be one pic with all of us with our new hats on.
barb craven
08-13-2012, 09:50 AM
DSL to answer your question as to who will be there, here is a partial list:
Mikesal57 and (Mike and his lovely wife Sylvia)
Isosa (Lou)
Gandalf380 (Charlie Bedard and his lovely wife Missy)
Wagercapper (Paul)
Mr. Pagine (JD)
I believe Chris
Tom
Pilot (Wayne)
and of course Bert Mayne
and Ted and Myself
Patrick (Truckdriver) has been on and off, I do hope he decides to make it.
and maybe Richie P and his lovely bride to be Karen. They are looking to see if they can find accommodations close enough near by.
As our tables are co mingled with the Pace Advantage group ( who are most friendly and helpful and accommodating) and as some of us belong to both groups, it makes for quite a gathering. When you get to the Festival tent, you can't miss us, we're the ones with all the computers.
I'm looking forward to having wifii in the tent this year. It will certainly make things a lot easier. Last year Patrick had a hot spot while he was there and was kind enough to share it.
barb craven
08-13-2012, 10:56 AM
I forgot Mike and Sara who live in Saratoga and Sara's mother and father who usually come in for this weekend.
Also I don't know if Mike and Eleanor W. are coming down from Toronto. They were there last year and also joined us at Woodbine for my annual birthday last May bash there.
pilot
08-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi Barb, I look forward to meeting you as well.
Wayne
pilot
08-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Mikesal, is there any chance of getting a room where you posted earlier.
Thanks
Wayne
Ted Craven
08-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Wayne,
Looking forward to meeting you! If Mike can't help you with that particular hotel, there are a fair number of hotels around the Albany airport, but at this late date they may be pricier or limited availability. I stayed one year at Hampton Suite in Colonie (by the airport). If you use your favourite travel website, looking for Albany airport, you'll see what's available there.
It's about 30 minutes up I87 to Saratoga Springs.
Good luck!
Ted
Bill V.
08-14-2012, 11:38 AM
I got my ball cap
It got a little smashed in the mail but I can work with it
Wish I could make it to Saratoga this year
I will look sharp and represent RDSS and Pace and Cap at Del Mar
29413
I'm envious Bill. It looks sharp. Wish I could make it as well. Maybe someday.
Jim
pilot
08-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks Ted
Wayne
Okay! Bert Mayne and a free RDSS cap. I'll be there! Looking forward to seeing folks again, Rich M.
By the way, is it High Rock Ave? I'm trying to locate it on a map of Saratoga. Is there a cross street for reference? Thanks, Rich
wagercapper
08-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Wed 8/15/12 - my "half" birthday - won't soon forget this day, thanks to RDSS! Nailed not one, not two, but three 10-1 shots at SAR. Should be a great weekend...
Ted Craven
08-16-2012, 12:46 PM
By the way, is it High Rock Ave? I'm trying to locate it on a map of Saratoga. Is there a cross street for reference? Thanks, Rich
Rich, glad you'll make it. 125 High Rock Ave, right at the eastern end of high rock park, just past the actual spring monument. Which is where I'm sitting right now, about to visit our facilities for tomorrow night.
Right at the convergence of Nelson, Circular and High Rock - the Mill office complex - someone will be posted at the (locked) front door to let people in, otherwise, call my cell: 705 788-4386
29504
then off to the track this afternoon with Mum.
see you tomorrow.
Ted
Ted Craven
08-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Wed 8/15/12 - my "half" birthday - won't soon forget this day, thanks to RDSS! Nailed not one, not two, but three 10-1 shots at SAR. Should be a great weekend...
Paul, (happy birthday) / 2 ! Will there be some of those left for today ?
Heading to the track in a few hours, I'll be at the Big Red Spring tent (the PA group, today). plus wandering ...
hope to see you there today?
Ted
wagercapper
08-17-2012, 08:46 AM
The weatherman says we're getting some cool air from Canada, so thanks, Ted!
I should get to the tent around 11:30 this morning, about 2.5 hours from now.
When I was there a few weeks ago, the wifi was working well, no password required.
May the longshots flow like water!
Paul :)
Ted Craven
08-17-2012, 09:08 AM
See you there Paul! Indeed, the wifi at the track is FAST - faster than at my hotel - faster than my ATT 4G cellular connection ...
Very satisfied with it.
Looks like some good racing today. Working on my analysis now.
Ted
pktruckdriver
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Next 6 hours
Widespread showers and thunderstorms developing by mid-afternoon. Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly rising into the low 80s. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 95%
I will do my do not rain dance for all those going today, let me know how well I did , please, lol.
Maybe an umbrella will be needed, have fun and stay dry.
patrick
vBulletin® v3.8.11, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.