PDA

View Full Version : Wagering free of emotion / my first step

RichieP
03-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Closing my Brisbet account. Will no longer be able to watch races. Anyone who knows me presonally knows this is a HUGE step for me. Have always watched the races I bet for over 20 years. NO MORE.

Emotion free wagering. MY biggest obstacle. MY biggest weakness.

Richie

JimG
03-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi Richie,

From reading your posts, I always thought you played from the track anyhow...Meadowlands, I believe? Anyhow, let me know how the experiment goes. I presume you will still access a good online tote board for value purposes?

Jim

shoeless
03-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Richie,This could be a big mistake as well.By watching the races you can pick up any type of track bias and any troubled trips that may point you to horses in the future.Jeff

RichieP
03-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi Richie,

From reading your posts, I always thought you played from the track anyhow...Meadowlands, I believe? Anyhow, let me know how the experiment goes. I presume you will still access a good online tote board for value purposes?

Jim

Hi Jim
I stopped going to the track on a regular basis in October. I have been to the Meadowlands I think a total of 3 times since then. Before I would go 3-5 days a week.

Been doing all my betting online as things got tight cash wise and I am able to save like 200 beans a month in travel expenses to and fro.

I am gonna do ALL my wagering off the morning line and in advance once I get the scratches so live odds will be no factor. I am SCARED because I have NEVER wagered like this but it is time now. VERY scared to be honest as this is totally uncharted area for me.

I am gonna follow some sound advice given by Dick Schmidt years ago relating to bankroll size. I am starting with a $200.00 bank for this endeavor and will NOT add to it under ANY condition. If I lose it it will be 6 months before I can try again.

I am planning to start on 4/1 Jim. I will let you know what develops whether good or bad man.

stay cool
Richie

RichieP
03-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Richie,This could be a big mistake as well.By watching the races you can pick up any type of track bias and any troubled trips that may point you to horses in the future.Jeff

Big brother you could be 100% right. I was never one to watch races for trips and such but there is merit to doing that for sure.

Track bias and the different beliefs and interpretations of it are a bitch.

One of the best things to come from Bill's site here is meeting you Jeff. I mean that. In person you really are one of the nicest and most sincere people ANYONE could meet. The ONLY thing stopping YOU from big profits Jeff is your struggle with " answering your own questions". That is YOUR biggest weakness without doubt. You are EXTREMELY talented when it comes to racing. Once you can do the above there will be NO stopping you.

You are one of the sharpest interpreters of form I have ever seen and your ability to read the race conditions and apply that to contenders is second to NO ONE.

luv
Richie

shoeless
03-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks Lil Bro for the kind and helpful words.I feel the same way, the best thing for me from joining Bill's site is being able to meet great friends like you,Bill and Pino.I really appreciate the way you all have helped me with the various programs.I hope someday I can be as talented using them like you guys are.Jeff

nomorebocci
03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
hi Richie, I'm sure you will do OK with your new system. We wish you all the luck (skill) in the world. May your $200 grow into thousands. Love, nomorebocci and brooks

socantra
03-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Good luck with your new experiment, Rich. I very rarely watch races, and don't find it to be a detriment, When I do watch races, I find that it quite often impacts my decisions for the worse. I get into patterns where I zig when I should zag and vice versa. I don't doubt that biases exist, but I know that I am not worth a damn at picking them up while watching the races. I am able to focus much better by not watching the race and getting my results from the charts. I don't do much in the way of trip handicapping, but if I did, I would think watching replays would be just as effective, if not more so.

I do use the toteboard for placing bets, but am increasingly questioning the reason for doing so. I've been tracking betting at Evangeline and several other tracks lately and find that up to 2/3 of the totals are showing up on the boards AFTER the one minute mark. This indicates to me that, to some extent, I am just fooling myself by intently watching the tote for value, not to mention the increased possibility of changing my mind about a bet and the increased level of tension.

Keep us posted. While I am sure it will not work for everyone, I am sure that bets can be made as effectively by using a good line maker as by watching what is often a misleading toteboard. You are going to get burned a certain amount of the time no matter which way you go, and the advantages may well outweigh the negatives.

Dick...