PDA

View Full Version : ESP & RS Question

Segwin
09-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Please refer to the attached picture.

Two questions:

Does the L in the ESP section indicated "Late" as in a closer?

What do the numbers that accompany the running style, in this case a P5, mean? I know a P is a presser but not sure what the 5 is for.

¡gracias

Ted Craven
09-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Terry,

The caption ESP refers to relative energy disbursement patterns - % of Total Energy exerted to the 2nd call point, or: (F1+F2) / (F1+F2+F3) - velocities/

RS Running Style indicates the visual running style of the horse. I can't think of a better recent discussion on this latter topic than recent posts of Mark's: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9364 (or, Google Site Search 'run styles' ;) ).

RDSS does the best it can to assign a visual running style, but Marks discussion from Jim Bradshaw's visual approach is what it aspires to ...

The small superscript number along side the Running Style is the Quirin Speed Points number indicating a horse's relative likelihood to seek the lead at the 1st call point.

An L Late in ESP indicates a paceline where the 2nd call energy was fairly low relative to the Total Energy (i.e. a higher 3rd call velocity). If this is typical for the horse at today's distance and surface, you can predict it will continue to disburse its energy Late today. It may or may not be favoured by this type of energy conservation against today's competition.

A visual P Presser Running Style indicates a horse who typically sits 2 or 3 back from the leaders at the 1st call and comes into contact with the front of the pack (if able) near or past the 2nd call point. If it's a true Presser (untroubled by the jostling of the true Earlies, but not too far behind them) it may be in a position to close against those tiring horses. If it also tends to disburse it energy reliably late (or later), also check its Total Energy and its Late readouts such as TS+F3, LPR.

Looking forward to the screen shot examples :)

Ted

Bill V.
09-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Please refer to the attached picture.

Two questions:

Does the L in the ESP section indicated "Late" as in a closer?

What do the numbers that accompany the running style, in this case a P5, mean? I know a P is a presser but not sure what the 5 is for.

¡gracias

Hi Terry

Yes L is for Late and that would mean a very sustained runner

the 5 or any number from 1- 8 are the Quirin Speed Points
You should do a google site search of Quirin Speed Points
In your example the horse is a Presser with good ability to be up close to the early pace

Segwin
09-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Terry,

Looking forward to the screen shot examples :)

Ted

That would have helped :o