![]() |
Observations from one who was there at Del Mar 2017 & 2021
1) IT was COLD. Friday the fog never lifted, and Saturday the wind coming off the ocean and down the stretch was really chilly. Last time there (in 2017) I had to remove my understhirt and tie because it was so hot. I don't recall it being that cold at Aqueduct in 1985, but THEN we were all prepared for the cold.
2) LOGIC was mostly on vacation (as it always is on the turf) but form declines ruined some horses having a shot at end of year awards: mostly in sprints, and the Distaff. Unless one had some REAL inside info, or was very very lucky, it would be very hard to have a profit. Life is Good was impressive wiring the group in 1:34.12. Some logic evaded on the turf as well, as the place horse in the ARC did not hit the board. Mary has a logic all her own, as she picked up Corniche, because the trainer had managed a past Eclipse winning 7 furlong specialist..What a memory that woman has! 3) Japanese interests have supported NA racing for a long time now and I was very glad to see one of thiers LITE UP THE BOARD and vitsit the winner's circle. 4) The Classic stood up to the hype.....Mary and I cashed a small, but LOGICAL super. I did not think ANYONE could touch the winner early or late. That race was a culmination of an obvious, but not OVERT, speed bias that lasted both days on the main track. 5) Parking was horrid. We did not get out Saturday until almost 8 PM. Last time, cars were parked in lots far away from the track and we were all bused in, but this time we were all in the same general area so the limited number of ways out became a significant problem. 6) The last race on Friday (BC Juvenile Turf) was a real dabacle. I have NEVER seen such a delay at the gate (where it is commonplace that youngsters get all worked up and can defintiely cahnge their chances), and then having a top choice change its tune, all of a sudden, and run for purse money only. All tickets then (exotics, vertical and horizontal) then defered to the post time favorite, Dakota Gold, that finished OUT of the money...There were BOOOS coming from all quarters of the place. 7) All the contests were run cleanly and safely I am glad to say. 8) We met some Canucks (who happened to see my Fort Erie hat) from Toronto, one of whom I used to work with at Woodbine. Nice fellows. |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.