Thread: BVD rating
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Bill V.
The egg man
 
Bill V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 10,005
BVD rating

This is not an offical RDSS readout
This is a home-brewed calculation I use to rate First Time Starters
or horses that are coming off layoffs of over 40 day

I have had many successes. I first began using this rating last summer when I was playing the daily pick 4 at Del Mar

I kept track or all the notations ad workout ratings and speed rating
for FTS and layoff horses, But nothing showed me any kind of advantage
Some notations pointed to winners more than others but that did me no good because most of the horses had the same notations.
Rating the WR or workout rating worked well most of the time but
I was not sure how this rating was calculated.
The speed ratings added together, Well I am not a fan of man-made speed figures so I ignored them. The speed of a workout is not as important as frequency of workouts.
I wanted to find a way to rate the last two workouts only!
and those two workouts had to be within 21 days of today's race.

I notice the little % notation next to the workouts, To me this looked like a grade given to the workout against all the other horses that worked out that day. I decided to focus on this % grade number,
So I began to add the last two percentage numbers for each FTS or layoff horse, the 3 highest figures are my contenders or an indication to use a plus paceline for a long layoff horse.
I won a pick 4 at Del Mar with Ted last year He asked me how I rated the race? it was a 2 year-old maiden race and every horse was a FTS.

I used 4 horses that leg , I just took the 4 horses with the highest total of the last two workout % numbers

At Saratoga I used it on Pace and Cap day Ted remembered my rating and
said he would use it and he named it the BVD rating!

So there it is the unofficial BVD Rating
Bill Varone Deduction --

I did this yesterday in the 3rd at Belmont
and Ted did two ( along with the morning line)
We nailed the race win exacta trifecta super

Here is an example o how I rated the horses Horse 1 had the highest total of 180 BVD

It won the race

Name:  BVD rating.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  147.2 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote