View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #51
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Exclamation Explanation and Resolution of this Problem

Folks, thanks to several of you who reported aspects of how this problem presented to you and several ideas to follow up on - here is the answer to the problem and both the Short Term temporary solution and the Final full solution.

The Problem - is caused because ever since RDSS 2.06 (May 2014) and all the way up to the current RDSS 2.1.045 - even if you did not choose to connect to SuperTote to get tote info, for CURRENT DAY (today) cards, RDSS was reaching out anyway to a Brisnet.com address to see if tote info was available for a given track. It should NOT have done this (and I blame the programmer ) if you didn't login to Supertote first. It appears that this morning Feb 19, 2018, that old Brisnet Supertote address was finally decomissioned, since they have moved to a NEW version of tote and race day info. Before today, when RDSS hit that old address, it failed gracefully. Today, it failed HARD, and the RDSS internet access component simply ended up waiting 45 - 60 seconds to learn that there was no such address anymore. And then tried again, and again ... That's why it was taking forever to do anything.

The Short-term Solution. (Please see this post below for a possibly improved workaround).

1. Set your computer date to a Future date where you have no cards downloaded but where you can still download the actual cards you want. For example, to download tomorrow Tuesday Feb 20, set your computer Date to Feb 21. Restart RDSS and download the cards for Yesterday (because when RDSS thinks Today is Feb 21, cards for Feb 20 will be Yesterday).

2. Handicap the races with the computer date still set to a future date where you have no cards (important, because if you work on a card which RDSS thinks is TODAY - even if that TODAY is in the actual Future - it will try unsuccessfully forever to get tote data for it). OR --

3. Once you have the cards Downloaded (and Converted), you can disconnect from the Internet and set the date back to today's correct date. If you are disconnected from the Internet , you can use RDSS normally to handicap Today's races.

4. If you have 2 computers, you can have one disconnected from the Internet to do your current day RDSS handicapping, and the other to watch odds and place wagers with your ADW.

5. If you have 1 computer, disconnect from the Internet and do your current day RDSS handicapping, then close RDSS, reconnect to the Internet and place your wagers with your ADW.

I know - that's a terrible workaround , but it seems to BE a workaround until ...

The Final Solution. I was getting close to releasing an update to RDSS 2.1 within a few days anyway which has solved the above described problem (that's why I was not experiencing the problem on 2 of my 4 computers - they had a newer testing version ).

Within the next 48 hours maximum, I will polish that RDSS 2.1 update sufficiently that I can release it in general - and also release the entire RDSS 2.1 to the general user base (the remaining ~30% or so who are not already using RDSS 2.1). That's because the old RDSS 2.06 is now 'toast' because it can't (won't) be updated to fix today's bug.

I will report here and by general email to all current RDSS users when the next release of V2.1 is available, which fixes today's bug AND reinstates tote access. That update should be BEFORE Thursday Feb 22.

I am sorry that this has happened today - my apologies to everyone affected. I really think folks will like the tote module renovation - and those of you who have NOT tried RDSS 2.1 - you'll like that too, better than the previous version.

Thanks,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 02-20-2018 at 12:12 PM.