Thread: Contenders
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
Dorianmode
always learning
 
Dorianmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minneapolis / Rancho Santa Fe
Posts: 277
Great. Anyone care to pose a question to start out the thread ?

But, back to contenders ....
In a profile, one could use the tools Ted has built into the profile templates, to evaluate what wins and how often. I had a somewhat similar set of tools built into my (expanded) profiles, (although I tend to put my stats summaries at the top of the data ... that way you can just keep adding rows of data ... as much as you need. There's also another easy simple tool in Excel, called "Max", which pulls out the maximum value for any set of data. It's simple, but skewed if there are "outliers". (I could post an example if anyone wants it). I also look at "standard deviation", (the lower the better, and the more consistent the data, and the more consistent the performance of the horse), and all sorts of other things. Eventually I find with all the numbers and tools in RDSS, you have to decide how to narrow it all down to just a few things. ... especially if you are preparing your races while they are being run. My effort right now is to determine what percent, in which kind of race, has the winner in my top 3 contenders. It's pretty high. But what the number is, is yet TBD, ....but the idea posed here above, to look at contenders as a separate issue, from picking a winner, is very interesting and important, in my opinion.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote