View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
Mitch44
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 3,872
The changes that were made is that all the workouts are rated verses just the last couple. This allows for a better analysis of workouts with those of the past. Take notice of improvement.

Sartin's stated that any horse that can work out in 12 second per Furlong is a sound horse or racing sound. Thats about 55 FPS.

The % workout is better because it gives an indication as compared to others that have worked the same distance on the same day and same track condition. Not just against the clock. It's much more valuable when compared against others or a benchmark. I.e. ranked 10th of 20 = 50% and 10th of 90 = 88.88% or 89%.

I find this is a valuable indicator for long layoff horses such as 90 Days, FTS etc., is the horse improving or declining in form? The better horses tend to work better. It's a piece of the puzzle that if analyzed properly can reap big rewards. Of course, the best of all worlds is combining it with other analysis, such as trainer intent, good Pace Rating, deceleration, proper distance and surface etc.

I'll let Ted explain the bold line, but in the future, he has plans where you can toggle and place the workouts between starts for a better visual.

Yesterday I did change a few lines due to very high variants and primarily used the Velocity-POH screen which contains the Match UP to play the two best horses of the top four. Most of my winners come from analysis and form judgements. Yesterday was just a down and dirty review using this new and improved workout %. I left all the horses in, this can be better with proper contenders but in long layoffs of 90 day horses and FTS or STS they can and does indicate readiness. I also like a sharp work since last race as a sign of improvement and sitting on a big effort today.

Every race and or workout contributes to a horse's improving or declining form. Catch the direction!

Best of luck Bill.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 08-14-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote