View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
porkchop
AlwNW1X
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19
question concerning the last 3

Hey guys and gals, I've just gotten started with the Sartin Methodology, and RDSS in the last few days. I've so far read the Yellow Manual, and Follow ups #80-85. Along with those, I have also watched all the videos concerning RDSS I can find here on the site.

I have been practicing using RDSS and the demo races that are available for download, and with what little I know, I have been having pretty good success with these practice races. I have a spread sheet that I use to keep track of my wins/losses/and RDSS readouts in 20 race cycles, and after working a race, I go to calracing.com to watch it and see how it goes. Obviously I'm working everything just on paper, haven't done any live races with RDSS yet, still trying to get the hang of it.

So, onto my question:

Lets say I'm working a 8.5F turf race with a 10 horse field. I'm picking the best of the last 3 comparable lines, going back a little further if need be. What do I do when I come to a horse that has ran on turf, but never in a route? Or if the horse has ran the distance, but never on turf?

I had a situation like this last night, where the horse had only ran a few races...all of them dirt sprints, and this was a turf route. Do you throw him out? Do you just take the best performance of his last 3?

Also, how far do you go back to get a comparable race? If you have to go back 6 races to get a similar distance/surface, do you go back that far?


On races where this happens, I get the feeling that I should just pass the race, to avoid those unknown variables. However, while working these practice races I'm trying not to pass any races, so that I can build up a sample size of my own and see what does and doesn't work for ME.

Thanks for the help

Tommy

Last edited by porkchop; 05-11-2009 at 07:15 PM.
porkchop is offline