Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentRun
Thanks guys for the above feedback. I never gave much weight to the
first call. Every book I read always emphasized the importance of the 2nd call.
I would always base my decision making in sprints around the horses that were up there at the 2nd call.
So this has been an eye-opener for me.
Ernie
|
Here is my take on the second call. All you have to do is watch enough races, look at a lot of charts or look at the pp's. Many times a horse that is 1st or 2nd at the second call was actually 4th, 5th, etc . at the first call. Is this "really" the early horse? The REAL early horse is the horse that is 1st or a very close 2nd at the FIRST call. When "the hat" looked for the early horse, did he look at the first call or the second call? I'm sure you are going to find he looked at the first call. As I like to paraphrase him as saying, "Horse racing is an easy game. When the gate opens one horse gets the lead. If no other horse can pass it, it wins". I think THAT tells the story of "early".
Like Richie, I think you are doing good work here. Keep it up and good luck!