View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #15
The Pook
Grade 1

Hi Rich,

I am all Apple. Always have been. Since I have been using RDSS it has been only through Parallels Desktop on a Mac Mini. I run an ancient copy of Windows XP which works great. I can get away with XP because I only use Parallels Desktop to run RDSS so I have none of the security issues I would have if XP was my main operating system on a PC. You can’t get into a Mac through the back door of an emulator. I had an old copy of it so no need to cough up for a new Windows operating system.

I wanted to run RDSS on a tablet without venturing into the PC world in which I am less comfortable. Parallels Remote allows this. From my IPad 2 I run RDSS in the Parallels Desktop that is on the Mac Mini. It works as long as I have a good Wifi connection. My IPad also has cellular and I could use that, but from some experimenting I did I found that the data transfer can add up pretty quickly and depending on your cellular plan could get expensive.

Like Ted mentioned I used it at Saratoga last summer with NYRA’s free wifi and had no issues. The same when I am at Woodbine using their wifi. Another little bonus is being able to use RDSS on my IPad anywhere in the house. I don’t have to be in the office all the time and not just RDSS but anything else you use your computer for. There are some little things you have to get used to with touch-screen but it takes no time.

So if you have an opportunity to score an IPad Pro which is the creme de la creme for everything including battery life you won’t be disappointed. If you don’t have a Mac computer to connect to remotely you would just run Parallels Remote on your PC. Same result.

A lot of options but if you want to be in the Mac world on a tablet this is the way to do it. RDSS on a full sized IPad Pro? Wow!

Pook

PS...I have the cellular IPad model to stay in touch when I am away from free Wifi. But I choose not to have a cell phone. I can’t imagine that you would need that much if you own a smart phone. You would save a couple of hundred bucks or more by not having it.

Last edited by The Pook; 02-06-2018 at 07:24 PM.
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote