View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
Bill P
AlwNW1X

Thanks. Those are valuable insights. I learned a lot from Charlie, Richie, and Cincy's comments regarding a PL as just one of the tools I need to consider. I also think that, as Cincy pointed out, local knowledge of the various tracks and their biases are so important. I suspected that handicapping was a lot more difficult than just picking a good PL. If it was easy, there would be no racing.

So, to become a better handicapper, I am going to read Mr Bradshaw's "Match Up" manual carefully and see what I can glean from his ideas regarding horses and the races they run. There is much I have to learn.

In the short time I have been pursuing this fascinating pastime I have to say how great an experience it has been. Like many of you I am coming in to handicapping late in life. Not only because I see as a way to make some money (eventually) but because I enjoy a challenge. However, I had no idea of what a challenge it can be. But I have learned that nothing in life is as satisfying as meeting and overcoming great obstacles.

The insights, patience, and basic decency you all have shown in your responses to my questions and concerns are rare commodities in the Internet world where rudeness and incivility are often the norm.

I'll continue to ask what are probably tedious newbie questions but I promise to do my homework, learn more, and take your advice to heart.

Thanks again.

Bill
Bill P is offline   Reply With Quote