View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
For The Lead
Grade 1

Example

Here is an example of a "non winners of a race in 6 months" condition. This race is to be run on WED 6/12 and has a claiming price of $7,500.

Name:  NW16MX.JPG
Views: 1004
Size:  23.8 KB

I have underlined the condition in red. The reason I gave the date (above) is so you can see that the condition does NOT say non winners in six months, instead, it says non winners of a race since December 12, which is six months, which abbreviated would read "NW16M".

In this race there is a horse that won a race just 17 days ago.
Another horse won a race 39 days ago.
Another horse won it's last three races with the oldest one being 97 days ago and the most current one 47 days ago.

So how are these horses eligible for this condition if they have won a race in the last six months?

If you read that part of the condition (above) that I have circled in red, it says "races where entered for 6,250 or less not considered in eligibility". What that means is this. If a horse won a race in the last six months and in that race it was entered for $6,250 or less, it is still eligible for today's race.

In the case of the three horses I mentioned that have recent winning races, all of them qualify under this exception to the condition. It is important to understand that not all races for horses that have not won a race in the last six months have this additional exception. Some tracks just don't write the condition in this manner, others do.

Where this additional exception exists, the abbreviated condition will read like this "NW16MX". The "X" at the end of the conditions tells you there is an exception in the condition.

This is a good example of why one has to read and understand conditions.
There are some NW16M conditions where NONE of the horse have won a race in the last six months and there are others where horses HAVE WON a race or races in the last six months, NW16MX. Where there are horses that have won a race(s) those races will have always been at a lower claiming price than today's race.