View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #67
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hello Bill,

I agree one can still find trainer stats that remain hidden to this day. I can think of a couple right off the top of my head.

There are many trainers with tremendous records but train only a small number of horses and don't get the notoriety of the Baffert's etc. Trainers do have specific patterns that they repeat. They fly under the radar and can get some nice payoffs.

I really got into collecting trainer stats after reading Steven Davidowitz book Betting Throughbreds around 1983. BTY an excellent book. I made some big money with it. The more data I collected the more confusing it became as I found out a race can have several trainers going in it with their best moves. Confusion set in and I abandoned it.

Bob Scetta was my favorite, now passed away. His move was to bring a horse back in 5 days, lesser know jock on it and they always paid $20 & up. I was at Keystone (Parx) one day and liked one of his horses, in the pre-race warmup the jock took off as fast as the horse would go for about 6F.I thought no way was he going to have the energy to run having left his race on the track. WHOA!! 5 days later he was entered and won,nailed him for just over $1,500.

Many years later I was working a race with LT1 and saw a Perkins horse that shipped from Philly to NY that they let get off at decent odds, won for I believe around $15. They tend to make the same moves and what has brought them success before.

It goes back to what I said earlier in that its all about the horse. To make that work now you have to have information the public doesn't, and it can still be obtained but some serious record keeping is needed etc.

Hope your well Bill and looking forward to our meet up at Sar.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 06-26-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote