View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
Mitch44
Grade 1

When we're picking pace lines its easy to pick a bad line with an extreme variant for that line. Besides a variant is useless unless its put in context with the others variants from the other horses in the race. I.e. a variant of 40 may be perfectly OK if all the other horses have a similar variant. A 10 variant may appear to be perfectly normal but not when all the others have -13 etc. that's a huge difference of 23.

I strongly suggest after picking all your pace lines go to the BLBL screen then click on the original tab. On this screen are all your horses and to the right it shows all the variants. Don't assume a variant is normal. I.e. a range from 17 to 27 is normal. View them in the context of what's normal for the horses in that race off the Original Tab of the BLBL screen. A -13 may be normal for fast tracks like SA etc. When you see a 10 for the SA as compared to the others -13 Take notice.

When you find one that is abnormal go back to the horses chart and try to pick a better line. There will be many times you have the best line and the other lines are even worse. In that case I suggest you view the horses CR or CR+ to determine if its a true contender.

Additionally with mixed distances such as having no choice and having to use a 8.5 F line in a 10F race. That horses will destroy your BLBL readouts because of the speed of that race and its an unknown if it can maintain that in a much longer race. The adjustment of a horse like that makes it too fast. Horses going longer have to prove it and deceleration normally takes place somewhere. A horse cutting back generally will run faster and has proven its ratings.

View your pace lines in context of distance and total pace. I.E. Same Tot. Energy but one is from a 6F and the other is from 7 F and today race is 7F, advantage 7 F horse because it proven the distance. Reverse that and today is a 6 F race with the same Tot. En. I would still favor the 7 F horse still as it can run faster cutting back in distance. Class is the ability to carry speed over a longer dis. of ground. This will help you with races of mixed distances which is also on the original tab where you'll find the track variant for all your contender etc. Similar total energy or near similar total energy.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote