Thread: Florida Derby
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar_David View Post
Possibly, but I'm not so sure about that. If you'll recall Alysheba, one of the greatest horses to ever live, was eligible for a NW2 race when he won the Kentucky Derby (and that was after falling to his knees and recovering).

It would be interesting to see how many horses that "didn't belong" have won Grade 1 races. Maybe Tom could tell us?
It is true that Alysheba had a less than spectacular two-year-old season, winning only a maiden race. He also did not perform very well at the start of his 3 year old campaign.

And then they found the reason for this continuing lack of success. The horse had an “entrapped epiglottis”. Now I’m not a doctor or a vet, but my understanding of that condition is that it is basically a “breathing problem”. It is doubtful that any horse is going to run very far, very fast if it can’t breathe properly. Surgery was performed and the condition corrected before the Kentucky Derby and the rest as they say “is history”.

So unless you know the horse the horse you are about to bet in the “Derby”, that is still eligible for a “NW2L” condition, hasn’t been able to breathe in its’ prior races, it might be best to stick with horses that have been successful at similar class levels.