View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Well it appears so, especially if you use races where the winner finished int he top 3. One of the problems using racing form info is that foreign races provide so little positioning info prior to the finish.

If you look at Calidoscopio's 2nd back, a mile and a quarter race in a very fast 201.6, that final time would equate to 136, adding lengths lost equals a 137. Races notes say raced in mid pack, but field was 14 strong, so mid pack might be anything from 3rd or 4th to 7th or 8th. There was simply no info to indicate lengths gained, etc., so what do you do. A 137 would tie for 4th best in my analysis, but I would guess that the positions gained or lost and lengths gained or lost, if known, would not make me want to consider this horse.

The place horse had not raced on dirt, but did have the best extracted mile time of 136.2 from a race where it ran 8-7-7 and finished 4th. hard to pick a horse without dirt experience. The Euros without dirt experience finished last and next to last.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote