View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #13
Tim Y
turf historian

starting to come to frution

I believe the events of this year's WORLD CHMPIONSHIPS are the beginning of a need to "wake up" the North American breeding industry to the fact that STAMINA is disappering from their offspring.

Myself, and my good friend Erwin (leftcoastracing.com, a Hasting's website devoted to an aspect called his "stayers watch" for stamina horses and his lamenting, like I do, that it is disappering) have harped on it for years: breed speed to speed and eventually we are going to have 4 furlong horses. It is this aspect of racing that I HAVE EXLPOITED FOR YEARS, knowing that earlier horses have a huge advantage since stamina is disappearing in the breed. In 1991, in Unbridled's Kentucky Derby BLOODHORSE issue, the editor's published a long winded editorial I wrote about just this thing and received good feedback from reader's who agreed with my contention that without graded stakes stamina tests, the breed would ultimately be doomed. EQUATIONS need balance, and when speed is overwhelming this one and stamina is under represented, that equation just cannot endure.

If you do not provide a GRADED stakes platform to allow breeder's to understand where stamina lines come from at that level of competition, it will be just a guess as to where those genetic lines come from. The Breeder's Cup MARATHON was a real joke this year and all you had to do was bet all the European horses. THEIR idea of a marathon is the Ascot GOLD CUP, a race of 20 furlongs, and there are many of them. Muhannak was stamina laden with turf pedigree on the top and bottom and even the "dirt" is no longer sacrosanct to the North American speed types.

Time to wake up or the times for European dominance of these WORLD championships is just beginning.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote