View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #30
jms62
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
No, actually you don't. You have to "know thy track" as Doc said.
I only need know the track bet at. I know Euros do well on turf and poly, and the lines can be interchanged, whereas on dirt, you cannot do this as successfully. The BC was a goldmine if you threw out all dirt lines period. You were hardly hurt at all, and you caught the price horses. When the Euros run on our dirt tracks, they do not perform nearly as well, with only a handful of exceptions over the years. Both the first two finishers in the Classic had better numbers than Curlin, and Tiago was almost as good as Curlin this year.

The class edges are so great you do not need ( nor can you do!) pace ratings, and just a rudimentary acknowledgment of the descriptions of how the Euros ran - early, closers, etc. Howard always said if you don't have all the information you want, use the information you have. With the Euros, you have only so much available - better get used to it until they provide us the fractions we need to run our programs. In the meantime, I think we will see a proliferation of Euros coming over all year now, now that we have been exposed LOL!, and with more and more synthetic surfaces, there will be golden opportunities for good scores. Turf of poly from Europe are going to be winning a lot of races here. I only wish we could get third fraction times *sigh* for the shippers. Being ahead of the crowd is going to pay off.

The Racing Post converted figs CJ gave out on his site were awesome. Betting them blindly was profitable. The marathon winner - $29 - was a top fig horse...the Classic exacta, even the turf races. Yes, this thread is already on my reminder program for next October!
just a rudimentary acknowledgment of the descriptions of how the Euros ran - early, closers, etc.

I could not agree more. I closely read the race notes of each euro horse and chose those in good form that closed and I felt could make the distance... It's not pace handicapping but it is adaptability to what was presented. The Pools are too huge to ignore.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote