View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #12
Bill V.
The egg man

Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
FU # 43 key points,facts or statements, takeaway's:

pg. 38 " TPR, is still Phase I and,while it's a better handicapping tool than those popular Pace/Speed Figures, its predictive value is quite limited for those seeking professional level win proficiency and profits." pg. 48 " The winners are still there but their resultant win price has dropped."

pg. #42 "With few exceptions,(again there are always a few), truly successful handicappers don't cluster toward a group mean; don't feel compelled to get along with everybody or to be know as Mr.(or Ms.) "nice guy." I was surprised to the max reading this one, of course open to your own interpretation.

pg. #42 "The quest for absolutes and rules is the downfall of most aspiring handicappers." pg.43 "Another vital CONCEPT of this Methodology is this: In succ- essful Handicapping THERE ARE NO RULES."

pg. 44 " The MATCH-UP.This is the mechanical bottom line for all 7 phases of the Methodology." At the time of this writing there were 7 phases, and after this other phases and programs were developed. Even today within the RDSS program it still is the main ingredient to the recipe or bottom line. Note: this does not mean BLBL!!

pg.46 Static numerical ratings such as a Beyer SR are based on a horses innate ability without regard for the contenders it's going against in a specific race. "The essence of the Match Up is NOT how well or fast a horse can run but how it will run against today's contention. The Match Up is based on incremental times and positions or, if you want to join the crowd ,call it pace." I myself think the best way to understand pace is to think of the 3 Fraction's as 3 different speed ratings or measurements.

pg. 47 He talks about different factors, many would not exist without the 3 Fractions, by going to the 3 Fr's the win proficiency increased to 63 %. Higher than what can be achieved with just 2 increments of measurements or TPR / phase 1 These compounded factors greatly raised the bar of proficiency. Also Huey Mall said that segments of a race reduces the effects of a variant, or more segments the less the effect the variant will have on a race. I might add even more so with several compounded factors or ratings.

What are your takeaway's?

Mitch44
Hello Mitch

What are your takeaway's?

I don't feel io missed your point at all.

I only did what you asked for. I realize the main snippets you post are Doc's words taken from his "from the top" articles
They are not yours. That is why I quoted and italicized the question and or statements you presented.

I am very thankful for this topic and your postings,
It has always been my wish for this type of inquiry of Doc's words.
From day one of my creation of VDC Messenger and then Pace and Cap, I hoped things mentioned in from EVERY follow-up, could be questioned.

If something is written that somebody feels may be out of date or has statistical evidence against his words they should be discussed in the Pace and Cap friendly manner.

Now to be clear once again, I respect Doc's words and guidelines to the max.
I don't want folks to say Bill V. is anti-Doc. No far from it.
If Doc were still with us, I am sure he would use our members to validate things for him, As he did in the infancy of Ted's RDSS program.

Thank you so much for your postings. However, not everything that was written
in the early '90s is still applicable in today's racing and should be discussed
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote