View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Just to be clear - I believe you are referring to the number from TrackMaster showing in RDSS as RC (Race Class) on the Original and Adjusted Screen for each race, and not the numbers captioned CR (Class Rating), found on the Entries Ccreen and elsewhere, which are calculated internally and related to Earnings, and Consistency for a horse.

For the record, TrackMaster's Race Class (RC) figure is in RDSS because it was in Speculator, or Validator. Even at that, it was not a readout used or recommended by Dr Sartin, as Richie mentions. FWIW, I make no reference to it at all in my own handicapping.

The RC figure, like the TrackMaster SR figure (and the DTV and ITV figures) is based on final time speed analysis. We know that $5000 claimers can finish a race sometimes in the same speed as $20,000 claimers. That does not imply that horses who compete well in $5000 claimers will typically be competitive against successful $20,000 claimers (mostly they won't).

I will leave it to others to make a coherent case for a consistent usefulness of these RC numbers in comparing one horse's race to another horse's race. But you will not be worse off by ignoring these numbers, IMO.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™