View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #18
mufasa
Grade 1

Hello to everyone on this site and especially as to the Speculator area.

I have just started using Speculator 160 (as of 5/6/07) and obviously have a long way to go. I have been handicapping for a long time and own and have read most of the recent books that deal with Sartin numbers and concepts written by previous PIRCO members. Currently my handicapping approach is based on "The Hat's" recent book Match Up 2. It is not my attempt to try to pick the same pace lines that he would have picked (assuming that I ever could) but to use his early or late running race ideas and the general need to match running lines of the copntenders so as to reach the eventual 4-5 preferred contenders. In this regard, as to Speculator 160, in helping me to pick my own pace lines how best can I utilize the very first screens-that is before any calculations are made and/or reduction of contenders to the 4-5 is considered. I have been thinking of using Perceptor 1 (which is available in the pace line selection area via F3) with its pace line ranking to either point me in the right direction or more importantly to help me pick the best line especially when I am fighting over more then one line to use. How does the Perceptor 1 in this early screen come to its ranking? If i have to use different distances and even surfaces does it take this into account in the calculations to its rankings. I need to know the basis for its ranking so that I can as much as possible work with its considerations (or not) in the selection of my own lines. I would think, and have read in other post on this matter, that sometimes others have not used let say ranking #1 or even #2 but instead have gone to another ranking which in their minds represents the horse better as to today's race. Having said that is there a Perceptor 1 ranking in this early analysis that you would not want to go beyond. Perhaps lets say that you would not trust yourself or have too much confidence on using a pace line that is ranked 5th or worse. In any pace line that I do pick it must have been a good form race.

I enjoy the software very much even though I am just starting out with it and still have a large learning curve to get through. It certainly gives me allot of information to work with but I need to know what is pertinent in today's race and/or match up.

Thanks,

RR
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote