View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #9
mick
Abiding Student

Charlie,

One of my favorite racing stories is about the Red Mile. I was living in Kentucky at the time and my brother Ricky came for a visit. He had never seen a race horse in the flesh and his head was on a swivel, trying to take it all in.

For the first race, I took him to a betting window and told him my pick, so he bet $2 on my horse. I also bet the daily double with one horse in the first leg and two in the second. None were favorites.

My horse won that first race by a head and my brother's $2 turned into $20. I remember the grin on his face when the cashier swapped his winning ticket for a crisp Andy Jackson. While we were standing there, I gave him my two horses in the second race and he bet those.

We grabbed a beer and a sandwich and watched one my horses win the second leg. This time Ricky got back more than $20 and he was grinning again. Then he watched in astonishment as the cashier counted out a stack of $20s for my winning daily double ticket.

At first he was angry. "Why didn't you tell me to bet like that?" I told him it was a low-percentage play and I got lucky. Then he said, "Why are you working? You could be doing this all the time!"

Yeah, right.

It was a long time ago and he hasn't watched another race live since then. But he still talks about it. What a great experience to share with my brother.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote