View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
lone speed
Grade 1

Steve Haskin's comments about Hence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
Hi guys
I have not had time to look at 3 yr olds but does anyone know the status of Hence? Is he Derby bound, has he run recently?

Thanx in advance and good work Bill!!!
Her you go Richie...
Great to see you posting again..I have enjoyed immensely your prior work on the top two Derby horses and their energy distributions on Sartin's programs and of course, your teachings from Jim"the Hat" Bradshaw.

Excerpt from Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen:

"Hence Steve Asmussen
Street Boss—Floating Island, by A.P. Indy
It looks like his bandwagon is filling up fast, and I can see him moving up the list as we get closer to the Derby. With Irap’s victory in the Blue Grass Stakes and Conquest Mo Money’s gutsy second in the Arkansas Derby, the Sunland Derby is looking better and better, and he totally dominated that race with a powerful 5-furlong sustained run, sweeping past horses on the far outside and getting floated wide by Conquest Mo Money turning for home. Not only did he crush his field by nearly 4 lengths in 1:48 flat, with another gap of 4 lengths back to the third horse, his 103 Brisnet speed figure is the fastest last-out number of any of the Derby horses. In addition, he is one of the early arrivals at Churchill Downs and is working brilliantly, breezing a half in :47 4/5 and then working 5 furlongs in 1:00 2/5 in company with Local Hero, coming home his final eighth in :11 4/5 and galloping out 6 furlongs in 1:13 2/5 and 7 panels in 1:27 in a terrific lung opener that should have him fit and tight for the Derby. This was the kind of work you wanted to see from a horse who is going to have 6 weeks between races. And as I have mentioned on numerous occasions, his remarkable maiden victory at Oaklawn was one of the great recoveries from near disaster you’ll ever see. I still don’t know how he managed to win that race. What happened to him in the Southwest Stakes is one of the many mysteries that likely will go unsolved, along with Irish War Cry’s debacle in the Fountain of Youth Stakes and Gormley’s uninspiring effort in the San Felipe Stakes. Now with Classic Empire, this no doubt is the year of the rebound performance. We’ll have to see if the colt will have a change of riders in the Derby, as Asmussen’s phone I’m sure has been ringing constantly."

lone speed is offline   Reply With Quote