View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #12
lone speed
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
At one time Sartin was putting in all horses and that's what we did back around 1990. He than advocated scratching from the lowest Total Energy or TPR to the top 5. His theory was that Tot. En. was class. Most winners do come from the top 3 and decline thereafter.

So during that era Balance was a great tool to eliminate horses. Keep in mind that Balance rankings are another way to view pace, whether Total or TPR, just broken down to two parts in EP & LP or you can say E/EP & L /EP. Actually E/EP & L/EP is better , trying to keep it simple here. Essentially just a form of TPR which most can comprehend due to its simplicity here and its rankings. This is about as de-complicated as it can be made.

Bottom line is forget about Balance, the game has changed and with proper contenders its effectiveness is over. If Sartin were alive today he would cast it in the pile of no longer effective, along with Models, track Profiles

Mitch44
Mitch,

Your comments regarding Balance reminds me of one of my first correspondence with Ted, when I first joined 10 years ago.

In today's small fields, it is not an effective tool...
lone speed is offline   Reply With Quote