Thread: Del Mar 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Ted Craven
Grade 1

What a great time we had at Del Mar over 2 days! The work tables at the end of the Club house provided a perfect spot to talk and work races: quiet in the mornings during 'early bird' access, feet away from the rail to watch workouts and bask in the morning sun. In the afternoons, full of all the vigour of the track patrons yet still right at the rail after the finish line for a birds eye view.

This year we were joined by Marianna Sartin and her fiance Pat, who also brought greetings from her mother and grandmother (the two Mary's).

In attendance also were Bill Lyster, Bud Jones, Mark Nicholson, Jeff M ('Lord John') and his girlfriend Sandra, Tim B (Capcondo), Bill V and yours truly.

Really it was simply 2 days of quiet conversation and study in the mornings - learning and observing each others methods in action - followed by the hurly burly of the racing days at Saratoga and Del Mar. I think several folks at out tables cashed nicely on the Travers, as well as many 'lesser' races.

I myself have been receiving a particular education in The Matchup this trip, and a big thanks to Bud Jones, Bill Lyster, Tim B and Jeff M for their patient coaching and encouragement in diving deeper with this. (And to Richie in Saratoga for a short session with some pointed advice from The Hat).

Here are a few photographic memories!

Bill Lyster, Bud Jones, Jeff M, Ted Craven, Bill V, Tim B

Name:  rogues gallery.jpg
Views: 5449
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  cool as ever.jpg
Views: 5379
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  learning the matchup.jpg
Views: 5586
Size:  42.0 KB

Marianna Sartin, her fiance Pat, Bill V