Thread: MNR Race 8
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
Because I Can Jim
Grade 1

I watched that race. For a second there, I thought Regal was going to get beat.
I have started watching the MNR races in the evening while I am handicapping. I find it interesting listening to what the commentators have to say about each race. I don't know the names of the male and female (since I have just started watching) but the first thing the gentleman said was to the effect of "There is no one else in this race." Which is fine - his/their opinions. Then the woman says "Well, what about this horse." They go on to make a case for almost every horse in every race. I just find it interesting to listen to as filtered through my own opinion of a race.
I personally have a saying that I abide by - "No one knows what you think they know." I keep this in mind when I listen to the "experts" to remind me that my opinion/thinking is all that matters. It is alright to listen to what the experts say, but, it is your job to evaluate it. The president of a company doesn't know everything. He has to listen to the experts. But, the quality of his evaluation is based upon how knowledgeable he is about the subject. For example, I know nothing about natural gas. I can listen to experts, but, I have no way of evaluating what they have to say about it. However, the more I read, study and learn about natural gas, the better my judgements will be about what the experts have to say.
The same with listening to the commentators. If I know nothing about racing (like my wife), something strikes a cord with whatever they say and she will pick a horse other than Regal even though he said right up front... bet this horse and go home. She would/did not hear that. A more knowledgeable handicapper would evaluate what was being said and may or may not land on the same horse as my wife, yet, I find it interesting to speculate how the commentators can sway what money goes into what pools.
Ahhhh.... I am rambling....
I just hope you didn't listen to the commentators, Bill, and put your money on my wife's horse! LOL
Jim
P.S. I enjoyed seeing the photos from your mom's B-day. Thanks!
Because I Can Jim is offline   Reply With Quote