View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
I became a fan of reading charts big time when I spotted Little Current's trouble line in the 1974 Derby chart. He was stopped pretty badly there and then went on to win the Preakness at 13:1 and the Belmont 3 weeks later.

I have read all the prep race charts so far this year and there does not appear to have been much more than the using slow breaks, occasional bumps, wide trips, etc., but the chart comments for two horses got my attention.

Having previous commented on the Aqueduct chart caller's "It was a dark and stormy night..." call of the Wood, all of this might be a matter of style from a different chart caller, but then again, maybe not.

I offer these two charts from California Chrome's last two races. It looks like Baffert's two best horses were blown out. No wonder Midnight Hawk is scheduled NOT to run in the Derby.

Light taps with the whip and long holds at the finish in two consecutive races do not look like the race took much out of this horse.

One other chart comment in the next post.
Attached Images

Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote