View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #31
Mitch44
Grade 1

I understand your problem Bill. I use to play the same way but now with so many tracks to choose from I also have abandoned the track profile. Too many tracks to keep up with nowadays and as you said not like the old days before simulcasting where we played only one track. I now subscribe to the "Doc's" later teachings where the match-up of the horses in the race account for 80% and only 20% has to do with the track. I go with that 80% putting the percentages on my side.

Don't mistake what I'm saying. I'm not saying that a track profile won't improve your game. It will if your playing only one track and you'll have an edge. Its extremely easy to keep up with one track but not multiple tracks. That 80% is incorporated in the ratings and I trust them.

Because of the proliferation of computers etc. the payoffs have decreased over the years. I don't believe the public is any smarter but those putting out picks are and the public hammers them. On many horses you have to go 70% & 30% now verses the old 60% & 40%. That 70% just makes me uncomfortable so I try to get creative. My first look is for a DD because its easier to pick winners, in fact the further down you go the harder it is to pick a horse. E.g. Who will come in 4th for a SF I would rather create my own DD if none are available with a parlay such as : $5 parley, $3 on 2nd choice & $2 on 3rd choice ( providing their odds are acceptable) Sometimes the public will hammer two horses so these aren't hard and fast rules. Every bet requires judgement. You want more for less and if you can't at least double your outlay( minimum) on the bet you shouldn't make it. So if your bets total $9 for an ex, demand a $18 min. payoff. This way your extension is less and when you win you'll win more. I play ex.'s the same way and look at the payoffs prior to making the bets and cutting my extension money in) on underlays.

Tailor the bet to the situation.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 03-31-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote