View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I have used MS Surface tablets for several years now. I have 3 (Surface1, Surface3, Surface6 and my wife has a Surface4). I can recommend them for versatility and portability: both a desktop computer (with docking station and peripherals) and portable computer.

Battery life gets better after Surface4 if you get a used one. Otherwise, get a Surface6 for best battery if you can afford one. Even so, at Mum's birthday at Woodbine a few weeks ago, her Surface3 and my Surface6 were on the verge of pooping out after about 5 hours running RDSS (me, 2 instances of RDSS sometimes), a browser and MS Outlook for me (no video). I got an external battery some years ago with a connector for the Surface tablets which adds 10+ hours life though smaller external batteries are available.

Only downside I would note is that the smaller ~11" diagonal screen can be constricting to a data-dense app like RDSS, though you can configure it to 2 panels to make do. If you got a clam-shell type notebook with a 13" diagonal screen capable of HD resolution at least (1920x1080 res) you might enjoy it better. The Surface tablets in HD resolution can result in rather small type for eyes of a certain age if you insist on 3 panels of info at the default font zoom setting, though you can increase that setting in the Config Tab ...

But I am happy with what displays I get for RDSS on my Surfaces!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote