View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
Mitch44
Grade 1

For pace lines I also use the preceptor ,the best of the last 3 at a comparable surface and distance. Where ever that takes me is where I go regardless of how far back that takes me. You have to treat all the horses equal so if that means going back to get the correct surface or distance than is where I travel to. As an ex. I have absolutely no aversion to using line 10 if it the correct one. You do find this more with turf horses because in the north because turf is seasonal. But you can also find it with poor trainers who don't place a horse at a proper distance.

With distance I attempt to stay within 1/2 F and no more than 1 F. Races generally shorter run faster and longer races generally run slower. EVEN WITHIN THE SPRINT AND ROUTE STRUCTURE!!! I.E. if you use a 1 1/16 line in a 1 1/4 race it'll make that horse too fast and distort readouts. Ditto with a 5.5 F for a 7F race. Now you have to use what you have, and if that's the case such as in these examples remember to downgrade the horse in your readouts. If the horse had significant more total energy and doesn't decelerate too fast than I don't downgrade it.

I never use muddy or sloppy lines even when today's track is off. I've found that theory to be overblown. With fast lines on off tracks the best horse still wins. There is no edge there at least for me.

I also don't consider class in picking pace line. If you do you'll never catch an improving horse stepping up in class. And they pay better prices also.

I don't use the X and O's at all. With the preceptor ratings I can see if the horse's form is improving or declining for the last race and all its races.

I don't use the Fulcrum at all and consider it a waste of valuable time as I do the X and 0's also a waste of time. For me once you pick pace lines for your contenders the fulcrum is within that, along with the match-up of the horses. Of course the caveat here is if you have the correct contenders and correct pace lines. For me that's not a problem.

Finally let me reiterate that's how I do it. There are those who have great success with the fulcrum and x and o's along with other techniques. If it works for you than keep doing it and don't change a thing.

All my best,
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote