View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
wilbur porter
AlwNW3X

I have only been interested in handicapping for 3 years now, and only joined this site in November of 2010. I am not an expert, I don't post regularly nor have I attended any seminars or gathering. I am, hoever, one of those who at first empathized with the "Disappointed Evaluator".
I was impressed by Ted's response to my post and was determined to follow his advice and instructions.I read most of his posts, the recommended manuals and Follow Ups, viewed the videos and listened to many audios.
Not completely satisfied, however, I continued to search and study other methods of handicapping. Before coming to RDSS I had originally started working with some of the Bob Pitlak software and then focused for some time on the Randy Giles Pace Appraiser(an excellent approach to pace shapes). Later I studied Ken Massa's HTR, Michael Pizzolla and his magical Magic Handicapping book, video and software, Charles Carroll's methods, William L Scott, etc etc, etc ... probably just like every member on this site.
I am not trying to brown nose you Ted, and as you often say, there are many ways and methods, even with only Rdss to handicap, but in my opinion you offer the most comprehensible and accessible method to handicapping for the "average Joe".
As we all know the Sartin Methodology helped revolutionize the art of handicapping. Many of the people who helped Dr Sartin have either passed away, retired or adapted the teachings and implemented them in their own venues and methods. That's fine. I love the Pizzolla videos. I've learned a lot from them. Randy Giles' Extreme Pace Handicapping is wonderful.
However I've learned so much more about handicapping from your software and site - and it seems that I discover so much more daily by re-reading the forum, the manuals and of course by using the software over and over again. The contributors to the forum have valuable insights as well - Barb (you can tell about a person by how well they take care of their mother ), Ritchie, Froggy, PKTrucker, Partsnut, For The Lead, Silent Run, Bill V, Mike Sal...and even Tim.
Frankly I have read many of Tim's posts in the past and have even used some of his suggestions in my handicapping and I hope that he is successful in his teaching efforts, however... Frankly I am not happy about the way he interacts with you or the members of this site. He certainly appears to have a good grasp of the methodology, but perhaps might be lacking in a few areas.
We have a saying in India - "Everyone wants to be a Guru, but no one wants to be a disciple". From the beginning I have noted how you are very low key, seemingly mild mannered and to the point. You don't appear to put yourself, your ego or your software on a pedestal. You don't push your methods or your products but you quietly make them available to those who are open and listen. NO FANTASTIC SALES PITCH! NO SENSATIONALISM! NO FALSE ADVERTISING! And you keep the forum even keeled.
Oftentimes it is seen that a true disciple of any great teacher is not necessarily he who is physically closest or more renowned. William Blake succeeded Swedenborg, Fritz Peters followed Gurdjieff, and Lao Tzu was influenced by Confucious. I am not saying that handicapping horse races is on a "par" of a religious teaching (though it could be) but rather I am precisely stating that right now you are presenting the Sartin Methodology and making it easily accessible in it's purist form, like a true disciple. Once the disciple has imbibed the teacher's teaching, then he is free to go out and teach. You, my good man, are more than qualified to hold seminars.