View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #84
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hello Bill,

Took me 2 days to get that up and not sure I remember all the steps. I'm a work in progress. ha ha ha

Players are generally fooled by cutbacks and stretch outs. I can handle both but for beginners I recommend Sartin advice of sticking to cutbacks.

I always had a problem picking pace lines until I went to the Saratoga seminar in 1990. At that time Sartin came up with adding the Speed Rating and Variant of the last 3 to get the correct line. That was his first step to evaluating a pace line.

The problem with pace lines is that the human eye does not see or pick up the hidden moves or internal moves. Take the example posted with the pace being about
21:3 and 44:3 in its last race, now that is a terrific pace and would tend to lead us toward that line. He made some hidden moves and overcame the pace. The 7 F race was on a completely different and a different variant. Class is being able to also carry speed over a distance. Averaging 12 seconds per furlong for 6F or 112:00 isn't a very classy horse at most track or a cheap Claimer. But carry 12 seconds for 10 F or 1 1/4 = 2:00 minutes and its a G1 horse and a champion.

I would never challenge or question the Preceptor, its just the bomb for getting a pace line. Analyzing a horse's form using Total Energy tells us if the horse is properly placed and the all important form question. Hopefully more will use these great tools.

Best of health my friend,

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote