View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulator
Here's a screen shot of a horse in the CD 5/6 card 7th race, which illustrates what I'm talking about. The second race back at MNR is an AL race and has a 90 speed rating with the horse finishing second. The third back is a stakes at TP with an 83--the horse came second. In the last race the horse finishes fourth in a graded stakes at KEE with a speed rating of 67.

Do you just have to know when these are abberations, or is it just a guess? I still don't understand why the difference.

Things like this make it very difficult to pick pace lines, especially when some horses have graded stakes races and others don't.

I never used to use speed ratings in my handicapping. I virtually ignored them. I hated them.

Is it any coincidence that my top rated horses in BL/BL 98% of the time are in descending order of speed rating?

Something doesn't feel right here. If it were simply a matter of speed ratings, then isn't that an over emphasis of final time?

If something doesn't "feel" right then why fight the feeling? Go with what your "gut" is telling you.

Then as a feedback mechanism and reality check keep RECORDS of how your instinctual line selection did against say an "application style" selection of best of last 3 at distance/ surface . You can set a number of days as far as what u will go back to grab a line etc etc BUT compare this with what you do.

The only way to know for SURE is by keeping records. Anything less is just guessing.

Richie
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote