View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #22
mufasa
Grade 1

Richie:

Thanks for trying to help me. As of now I have nothing that has worked out great but then today is really my first attempt at using Spec160 as a tool in my handicapping/selection process. I used it once before (last week) but that was really and experience in maneuvering around a DOS software. Perhaps when I return home from Belmont today I will have some successful races to discuss or at least more pointed questions as to what I am trying to do.

Right now I am trying to utilize the Match Up 2 concepts in my pace line selections and when not sure I try to select the best effort (speed rating) against the best 2nd call pace time (rating) in the PP’s. The selected lines must have been in a good form race (win, or within 2.75L in sprints and 3.50L in routes) at similar surface and distance when possible. Sometimes when it comes to surface and distance I have to pick the best possible and in maiden races I try to stay within last 3 races (no matter the finish).

My thinking originally (and still testing) was that I could use the Perceptor 1 (F3) in the first screen when I need help in selecting a pace line, especially if I am not sure between 2 or more lines. In fact, there is something that I just noticed while going over the Belmont card for today and that is that many of my preferred pace lines were not rated well (5 or higher) and that made me a little uneasy. I have done 2 calculations: one with agreed pace lines rated on Perceptor 1 at no more then a ranking of 3 or better and another calculation with my own preferred pace lines no matter the P1 ranking. I have printed some of the screens to take to the track consisting of both calculations so lets see what happens. [Thanks Ted your advice on how best to print with Speculator 160 did the trick for me. Ted helped me with how best to print on an earlier post.]

What I really wanted to know at this early time in my learning process especially since many times the Perceptor 1 rankings do not necessarily agree with my pace line selections for the race—is how exactly is the Perceptor 1ranking the lines? How or does it take into account surface and distance? Sometimes it rank’s a not so hot finish higher then another race that is at similar distance with a better finish. I need to have a good idea of how exactly (or close to it) Perceptor 1 works so that I can use it with confidence and ignore its ranking when I feel better about my choice or otherwise ignore my choice of pace line and go with the higher ranked.

Thanks. I am sorry about the extensive post.

RR

Last edited by mufasa; 05-12-2007 at 09:30 AM.
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote