View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cochran View Post
This was a question posed at the Sartin Methodology Las Vegas Seminar.
I remember it as if were asked in the present Pace and Cap Forum.

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO GET FROM THE SARTIN METHODOLOGY? or WHAT DO
YOU WANT TO DO WITH IT.?

I never saw so many confused looks within a large group, in my entire life.

AND THEN CAME THE QUESTION, WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO TOWARD THAT END?

I would like to pose the same question to all visiting the Forum. Simply state your thoughts and opinions for all to read. It might produce different
perspectives than most originally held. It might also give direction to those
who have no answers or opinions regarding the Questions.

This is a good reality check .
Please participate, there is no right or wrong answers to the questions.

Bob Cochran
Thanks Bob, this is a good idea.
I have been at this game for about 44 years and I took a big interest in it from the start. I constantly read whatever I could get my hands on. At some point early on I bought a Kelco Calculator, which I later learned from Tom Brohamer, that is how he started. Many years later, someone I knew suggested the Sartin Methodology to me. I felt I was already a fairly accomplished handicapper, but the reason I had reached that point was because I was always open to new ideas. I was always willing to take something from this and something from that, with the idea of putting the various pieces of the puzzle together.
It turns out that a seminar was coming up at Saratoga, so I made the necessary arrangements for my wife and I to attend. We decided we would spend a couple of days at her brothers’ house prior to driving up to Saratoga. Understand, this just wasn’t a trip to visit with her brother. No Sir. He lived a stone’s throw from Garden State Park (the re-built version), which was the real objective in the first place. Just a side note here, I was at the old Garden State Park the day it burned to the ground, third floor grandstand. Anyway, Garden State was running 10 race cards at the time. In the two nights we went to the track prior to leaving for Saratoga, I hit 19 out of 20 races and that was betting ONE horse. The race I lost was by a nose. Frankly, I saw no reason to go to Saratoga. What for? But, the whole thing was already planned and paid for, so off we went.
I think the fact that I am here writing this speaks volumes about that weekend seminar and what I came away from it with. Today, I do not use any of the Sartin software per se, although I have Energy, Kgen, Thoromation and etc. I work from my own programs and database, which has grown to over 4,000,000 horses over the last 12+ years and you can be sure that those programs and that database is filled with Sartin material along with other things I have developed over the years.
So let me take the questions you posed, one at a time.
What do you want to get from the Sartin Methodology? I wanted to get anything I found useful in order to build on that which I already had.
What do you want to do with it? Improve on the ability I already had. Learn something I didn’t already know.
What are you willing to do to that end? Whatever is needed.
I agree with you Bob, horse racing is not a get rich quick scheme, it is a hard job. You must do the work. Only then will you reap the rewards. Fortunately, it is a labor of love.