View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cochran View Post
absolutely correct. each track seems to have it's individual energy requirements
ie; track surface, track conformation, number of racing days, and also the quality of horses.

Lastly, the most predictive profiles compiled are usually the contingent of
the largest number of certain type runners stabled at the track.

The fewer number of race distances offered by a track, the tighter your track
models will be.

BobC:
Bob,
I agree 100%. And for all those reasons you mentioned and more, that is why I play only tracks with long meets, such as MNR,PHA,PEN,DEL for examples.

I keep models that are broken down not just by distance, but by surface, sex and race restriction for winners. I do the same thing with maidens, except there are no race restrictions so I use MC and MSW.

Because this is the way I keep models, tracks with short meets such as SAR, DMR, KEE and CD for examples are not on my list of tracks to play. At just about the time I have gathered enough information for it to have some meaning, the meet is over.

It is for the same reasons that I do not bother with TURF racing. Turf races are only run during the summer months in most parts of the country and there are only a couple of races carded each day. In addition, I don’t want to be bothered with fields that include “turfers” that haven’t run since last season, first time “turfers” and European horses coming to this country for the first time. So again, I just don’t bother with them. With all the racing there is on a year around basis, I certainly don’t need to complicate things anymore than they already are.

I’m sure you can imagine that these “artificial” surfaced tracks are also not high on my list. As far as I am concerned, these tracks have done nothing except “muddy up the water”. At this point, I am doing the best I can with these surfaces until I make a determination as to how I should best deal with them.

In the end, for me, it is just so much easier to stick with dirt racing and long meets.