View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Data Missing after switching to Example Databases

Quote:
Using the Database Management Tool, I switched to one of the Example Databases to check it out. When I switched back to my regular database, it was empty - no cards or races were there.

Where's my races?
When you switched back to your regular database, you chose the wrong file. Your Example Databases, both supplied with the software or downloaded later from the website, reside on your RDSS2 Data folder and you likely switched to a file named data.db in that folder, which is empty.

Your 'regular database' however is stored in RDSS Data (i.e. c:\rdss\data), the location for data originally for RDSS1 (V0.99.2), the older RDSS version, and shared with RDSS2. To get your data back, Switch using the Database Tool and navigate the file system from the RDSS2 Data folder to the RDSS folder, then the Data sub-folder and select the data.db file there. That's your regular data.

In fact, it is much simpler to simply leave the database RDSS2 is using as c:\RDSS2\Data\data.db (the empty one) - then exit RDSS2 and move your regular database file (named data.db) from your RDSS Data folder to the RDSS2 Data folder and overwrite the empty one there. Then, ALL your data will be in the same folder and much easier when switching among the various alternate databases.

I made a video explaining that, demonstrating how to create a NEW database, and how to recover from problems if you try to switch to a file which is not a database file (i.e. you won't be able open RDSS2).

Here's the Database Management Tool Video in the RDSS2 Videos section.

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™