Thread: How I use RDSS2
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hi Bill S:
The reason I use those two criteria is that what I learned at the SAR. seminar back in the early 90's from Glenn Connolly. The Sartin groups research determined that the average variant across the country was 17. On either side of this there is a point that it becomes unreliable. Glen was a mathematician who worked in the space program with formulas but he was an individual who loved to do research. It was his determination as far as I know that came up with that and he stated that was what he used. Good enough for me.Those adjustments give you 10 lengths on either side, after that your dealing with a guessing game.

I suppose I could change the settings but I have always used the recommended setting with success. But I do look at the variants and sometime change a line based on that or as an example its not their running style.

If horses are all coming from the same track in many cases it safe to use them. Example races at SA all tend to be very fast with many around that -7 or under or at MV where + 35 could be the norm. This is mostly due to weather condition as in little rain and winter off tracks. If their all like that than its OK because your treating them all the same and their from the same track or if that's all you have to go on. Rather than change the settings I just review the variant for a norm. You can go the other way and change the settings but I would still recommend you review them just like you should review automatically picked pace lines. Hope this helped.
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote