View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
lsosa54
Grade 1

Nice to see everyone there and finally meet Bert. After 23 years of reading him in the Follow Up and listening to him on seminar tapes, I started to think he was a ghost! It was a blast to listen to and talk with him about all the fun he had in those old days when the PIRCO team was all together.

As most of you know, I'm not an RDSS user but have always believed in what Ted was doing in terms of preserving and modernizing the Sartin Methodology and so didn't mind spending all those hours digitizing tapes and manuals. I joined PIRCO as a member back in 1989 when Synergism 2 was the program one started with. Plus, Ted is a nice guy, isn't he? Must get it from his Madre (that would be Mum in Spanish).

Some quick takeaways:

1-Make bets, not picks (Ted)

2-Consistency in one's approach above all else. Stop zigging and zagging with approaches or software (Ted)

3-Have fun. If you're not, find something else for a hobby or profession (Bert)

To be clear on my approach, I use CJ's pace figs uploaded into AOdds 98 Super Gold exported into EXDC/Thoromation. A slightly manual process but no manual input. If I was starting out today and I had no comfort level, I would probably start with RDSS. Bert stated that he was thrilled to find software that had modernized and automated Doc's concepts. High praise coming from a charter member of PIRCO.

The other interesting thing that Bert said that took me by surprise was that he was not a handicapper and didn't really know much about it. His strength was pattern recognition through modeling a track. Very sound advice, esp. to newbies. There is no free money in this game - one has to put in a lot of work. Ask Bert about his "Trinity" play - and no, it has nothing to do with his ministry!

All in all, I spent a great 4 days. We had a lot more intermingling of the PA, Pace N Cap, and PaceFigs folks than last year. OTM Al from the PA board did a great job being there with the tickets, arranging the tent seating, and sneaking some extra Toga swag to everyone. PA himself provided a great spread with some excellent food and custom designed Tshirts on Saturday free to ALL - no matter what forum you belonged to! Ted made sure everyone that had a laptop had access to a power strip. Great stuff.

Forgot to mention, if I lived in a state where I could use NHPLAY, I certainly would. These guys are bettors themselves and they are very good at what they do. Impressive presentation.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote