View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Ted Craven
Grade 1

From Bill S (Bensalem, PA)

Quote:
It’s been a heck of a year with RDSS, and there were several times I just felt like throwing it all away and giving up, but I hung in there
and now things are starting to happen. After about a year of playing Penn National almost every night, I have finally come to understand
what Dr Sartin means about “lines looming off the page”… They don’t actually “loom” up for me…but I can “see’ or “feel” the most appropriate
lines now…hard to explain…..but that skill comes with experience. Nothing you can read or study will give it to you,…you have to go in there
day after day pounding until it clicks, just like Dr Sartin said. Also he was right about most of the answers to your questions are in The Followups, they are, but not easy to find…you never know when he’s going to let loose with a gem, so you have to read them in their entirety.

I also study and read a lot when I'm not actually handicapping. I understand the methodology much better now, to include wagercapping.
My biggest problems are psychological now and I have to overcome those, like letting the fear of losing cloud my judgement. Lots of stuff Dr Sartin says
makes no sense whatsoever and defies logic, but it works! When I didn’t follow his instructions I lost, but when I started following it I began to win… so now I listen
to what he says very carefully. I’m also a firm believer now in keeping records. In the early days I discounted that, but now I see the power of keeping records.
If I don’t have records for a track i don’t wager until I have them, at least a track profile to start out with. Records are important…another thing I learned the hard way...

Anyway, RDSS is the key that lets this all happen…there is no way I could do these calculations by hand. I’d be lucky to handicap one race a day doing that.
I think RDSS’s power comes from it’s simplicity and purity, …it's a classic information system…it takes raw data and transforms it into useful information, and it does it well.

Let me tell you something, playing Penn National day after day is a challenge. I play that because I work during the day
and can’t play day tracks, so i picked Penn National as my proving grounds. A $25K optional claimer is a big time race at
that track, plus you have shippers coming in from all over. Similar to Mountaineer. Playing one track is good for learning though.
By keeping track profiles I have seen all kinds of things happen there with biases. Actually differences in energy
distribution from one distance to another, like 5.5 to 6.0, or 1M to 1.70. Unbelievable the variations that occur with just a
small change in distance. Later you see these biases flip, now horses are winning with completely opposite energy distribution
than they did a few weeks ago. Like all summer horses at Penn were winning with early energy at 6.0F on the dirt, and now
that the weather has cooled down, they are winning at 6.0F with late energy. Why this is I don’t really know yet, but seeing these
patterns within the profiles and models is what gives you the edge over the rest of the crowd. This is why record keeping is indispensable.

... I think it’s fair to say I think your short changing yourself Ted. RDSS is worth much more than $100 a year. I think $200-$250 would be more like it, and I’d pay
that amount happily. I do have personal reasons for suggesting this also. As a user of this product, I would like to see your income stream as the developer increase to a point were you were able to justify spending more time on it, in other words making it a more profitable product for you, and a more refined product for me, not that it’s not that now, I’m sure you get my point. Also a price increase would be very fair and justified at this point. RDSS was $100 five years ago when I first used it. Still $100 today….

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote